Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Dad in WW1

Malcolm Harvey

Going through and clicking on each one to make certain they didn't change to the regiments we're looking at...

The only London one I've got is:

Medal card of Harvey, Herbert

Corps: 2nd County of London Yeomanry

Regiment No: 2660

and he then switched around a bit

2/5th King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment 202989 Private

Tank Corps 302755 Private

Unless there are other suggestions of regiments, I think one of the above men must be our lad.

Allie

post-3198-1165870544.jpg

Thanks for your interest and comments. This is about as far as I can push it for the cap badge. Is there any significance to the soft top cap as opposed to the more common flat, stiffened top?

Can anyone expand upon the location of his records?

Malcolm

The problem with british service records is that the Luftwaffe had a bit of fun in a thing commonly referred to as The Blitz. Only about 30% of the files survived. They're at the National Archives in Kew, London, and it doesn't list on their website which records survived. Basically, someone needs to go and look.

What I've been listing are from the medal index cards, also at Kew. You can pay £3.50 for those online. I've never done this. But I understand you get about 6 or so cards on one scanned sheet, so you might get 2 or more of the ones you want to look at for the one payment of £3.50 since they are in alphabetical order.

Hopefully someone more practised at doing that can help you, though.

Allie

right arm 3 overseas service stripes (yellow) 4th would be blue, left arm 2 brass wound stipes and 2 good conduct stripes, cheers, Jon :D (I think that's right <_< )

I think that the overseas service stripes were blue, with red for 1914

Nigel

Would the bandolier not indicate that he was from a horse-borne regiment?

Steve

Would the bandolier not indicate that he was from a horse-borne regiment?

Steve

No, it means he was on mounted duties, which just about every regiment would have had some men doing these roles (such as for transport or other reasons).

This is as close as I could get for a "Herbert Harvey":

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...ullDetails=True

I checked Sheen's listings for the 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th Northumberland Fusiliers as well, but although there are "Harveys" there are no "Herbert's".

Then there was this Herbert Leslie Harvey:

Herbert Leslie HARVEY was born 10 May 1897. He died 24 Jan 1940. Herbert married Hilda May WARD on 8 Jul 1922 in St Barnabus, Heigham, Norwich.

The dates sound close but they are not exact? But if you are "Neil" then that is probably your information?

Hi Malcolm, (and of course evryone else who stops by for the challenge :lol: ) there's a link here with regards to the Black & Tans, of which there could be a strong possibility that your father served with them after the war, also note that if in fact he did serve with the RIC his name will apparently be recorded there but I'm unsure if these records are searchable on-line. The cap badge is proving very difficult to pin to any specific regt. but on the other hand the collar badges aren't, indeed the RIC wore these badges and in the early days of the B & T's the man wore his old Army uniform along with his old regt's. cap badge. I have also seen photos of them wearing bandoliers and this could possibly explain why there are no visible signs of any medal ribbons on the photo you posted, he would definately have qualified for them with his overseas service. As to his cap itself, many soldiers amongst the ranks removed the stiffener I guess just for appearence. Please keep us informed of any further info you may find and I will do likewise, I'm sorry I can't be of much more help at present, good luck in your quest, cheers, Jon :D

ps. should you find your father in the B&T's

Can anyone expand upon the location of his records?

Hi Malcolm

If he was still serving post 1921 his service records at held at the MOD rather than at Kew. They treat them as private, and only available to close relatives, after providing proof of his death. See:

http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/service_r...ce_records.html

I believe the charge is about £30 and it can take months. You will almost certainly need his regiment or corps, so keep these boys at it until you get a consensus

Pete

This is as close as I could get for a "Herbert Harvey":

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...ullDetails=True

I checked Sheen's listings for the 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th Northumberland Fusiliers as well, but although there are "Harveys" there are no "Herbert's".

Then there was this Herbert Leslie Harvey:

Herbert Leslie HARVEY was born 10 May 1897. He died 24 Jan 1940. Herbert married Hilda May WARD on 8 Jul 1922 in St Barnabus, Heigham, Norwich.

The dates sound close but they are not exact? But if you are "Neil" then that is probably your information?

Laughton.

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately the link did not show anything positive except that the records cover 1914-18.

Your second revelation was indeed my parents and I'm intrigued to know how you so readily come by that info in Canada when we here can only get such on payment of hard cash. No I,m not Neil, I'm Malcolm but I do have a son Neil.

Jay.

Thanks for your info. I,m sure my dad would be chuffed to think he's at last got global coverage with so many people interested. I feel sure I've seen on the forum someone doing lookups for the RIC.

Pete.

Thanks for your info. Like you say, we have to have a positive id to proceed. At least we run to 2 pages on forum.

Malcolm.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Christmas is dealt with I must try to keep this topic alive.

With the possibility of my dad serving with the RIC is there any online database where I can check or has any member access to such info? As has been stated, any MOD enquiry would need more substantive id than just a name.

If we have reached a stalemate, is there an experienced researcher (paid of course) who would be prepared to undertake this research on my behalf?

Regards.

Malcolm.

• 3 weeks later...

post-3198-1168722998.jpgI have ascertained that my dad continued to serve with the Norfolk TA in the 1920s and 30s. Can anyone say if TA nominal rolls are likely to exist for that period and, if so, will they give details previous service?

Photo included shows my dad with a very relaxed attitude to soldiering and a fag in his mouth at front of picture.

Malcolm.

• 1 year later...

Forgive me for resurrecting this thread.

I thought that, with the Nov. free-for-all on Ancestry, 30,000 potential observers on the forum might uncover some gem, such as a misfile, to further my quest.

I’ve been searching during the last week to no avail. I did however find the service record of my dad’s great Uncle William Harvey who died of cholera in Delhi in 1900 while serving with the RA.

Thanks.

Malcolm.