Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Defence Corps

sjustice

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have information relating to the RDC, it's structure, aims, relationship to the Regular Army etc?

There seems to be so little information about it which, on the face of it, is a little strange.

Any information/links etc gratefully received.

EDIT: 20th December 2006 - Added some research in this post: RDC Organisation Research

Kind Regards,

Simon

I can confirm that my ancestor - Harry King - was invalided out of 1st Herts in late 1917 and joined 466 Company RDC that was based at Kinsale Barracks, Ireland and was stationed to protect the port.

He appears to have been demobbed in late 1918.

Chris

• 6 months later...

I should be grateful if anyone can shed any light on the following RDC Protection Coys.

RDC 150 P.Coy April - July 1916

RDC 115 P.Coy July - Sept 1916

RDC 117 P.Coy Sept 1916- Aug 1917

RDC 15th battalion? Aug 1917 onwards

Many thanks!

Darren

• 5 months later...

My Grandad patrick murphy was formerly in the irish guards then went into royal defence corps due to ill health which killed him aged 28 on november 5th 1919 in lancaster where he was working in munitions. on his war grave his service number was *48466 Royal Defence Corps* but i cant find him anywhere irish guards couldnt find him either.

I have tried searching everywhere and every site im running out of ideas. I need to know where he came from and who his parents were. he never married my gran so there was no marriage cert to check.

Please help x

Can anyone help with my grandad patrick murphy his grave says *royal defence corp 48466* but he doesnt exist anywhere ive checked every website i can think of. He died november 5th 1919 aged 28, he was in lancaster working in munitions and is buried there but i have no idea if he lived in lancaster or was just stationed there. He was buried in a common grave with 6 other souls until someone realised he should of had a war grave and duly plopped one on top not knowing if it was right place or not. there it went unseen for 90 years until i found him i have death cert my gran as next of kin but she never married him so there is no marriage cert to check parents etc! and she never spoke of him as far as i know..

• 1 year later...

I would be most grateful if anyone can tell me to which Command "337 Protection Coy" belonged, where they would be based and what they "protected".

This will help greatly in our research into my wife's grandfather, who served in India with the Northumberland Fusiliers, in South Africa and France with the border Regiment and then joined the RDC after being invalided out.

Hi

Realise this is much later than your post but have only just seen this part of forums.

My Great Grandfather was in 337 Pro Co and he was at Knockoloe POW camp on Isle of Man in 1917 where he was taken ill & sent home to Shrewsbury. I looked up camp on net & was sent some info about the camp which I could forward to you if you wish.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just found a soldier who transferred from the Royal Fusiliers to the RDC - would this suggest that he was wounded and passed unfit for service overseas, or could he have volunteered for some TA/Home Guard type role post war?

He certainly served in France from Nov 1915 (according to his medal card).

• 2 years later...

For anyone with an interest in the 310 Coy, RDC, I have pension records for a man in that company. It states he was based at the following:

Hereford until 30/9/1915

Knockaloe 30/9/1915 - 14/12/1916 (internment camp for German civilians on IOM)

Frongoch 14/12/1916 - 17/1/1917 (internment camp for German POW's and later Irish political prisoners)

Douglas 17/1/1917 - 9/2/1917 (POW's)

Knockaloe 9/2/1917

Hope this helps.

Julie

To add to this, I have a Cheshire Regiment soldier who was attached to 310 Protection Company, RDC on 24 Apr 1919. They appear to have been at Sandycroft and connected to the Cheshire Regiment. My man was retained on the strength of the Cheshires' Regimental Depot. There was a German POW Camp at Sandycroft, but this was converted into a munitions factory in 1917. Either would have potentially merited basing an RDC Protection Company nearby.

He was not demobbed until Sep 1919.

When he attested in Dec 1915 and had his medical, this was also at Sandycroft, Flintshire, so there may have been a Cheshire Regiment depot here also. The Cheshires RHQ was at Chester Castle and my man lived in Chester, so a trip out the few miles to Sandycroft would have been out of his way.

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 year later...
Guest thussey

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me.

Looking at my grandfathers birth certificate, I see that my great grandfather HARRY THOMPSON was:

PRIVATE NO 84325, 329 COMPANY RDC

Can anyone tell me more about the unit, where it was located, what it did, etc?

Thanks In advance

Tim

• 1 year later...

Hi does anyone know how i would find out what company or part of the RDC my gr grandfather would of been in. I cant seem to find much online, all i know is his no for rdc 70744 that he was transferred from Northamptonshire 6th battalion as 27139. In 1917 

What documents hold this info?

Thanks

• 4 years later...
On 10/12/2006 at 19:42, Graham Stewart said:

I have the complete ACI for the raising of the RDC and it's role & structure, what would you like to know?

Graham.

Hi Graham Just picked up your post on the Royal Defence Corps tread and ask if Could you email me a copy of the ACI for the RDC please. My email is - [Email removed for anti-spam purposes, please exchange via the personal messaging system. GWF-Team]

many thanks 

Mike

17 hours ago, Solent said:

Hi Graham Just picked up your post on the Royal Defence Corps tread and ask if Could you email me a copy of the ACI for the RDC please. My email is - [Email removed for anti-spam purposes, please exchange via the personal messaging system. GWF-Team]

many thanks 

Mike

Mike - Have just seen your post and your email address has been removed by the GWF Team. If you go into "personal messages", you'll be able to post it there.

Graham.