Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Troop Ship Regina

Ray Tomlinson

I am working on a theory that my grandfather Henry Roberts sailed on the SS Regina after being discharged sick from the Royal Engineers in Nov. 1918. At least someone with the same name did. The problem I have is working out whether this person was my grandfather.

The Regina first sailed for Boston in December 1918 allegedly carring returning troops and emigrants (HR was a stoker). My mother would have been conceived some time in February 1919 so a pointer as to whether I have the right man would be where the ship was at that time.

Before I make the treck to look it up in Lloyds List, does anyone know of a source of info for the whereabouts of troop ships? How long did it take for such a vessel to cross from Liverpool/Boston?

Any contributions/suggestions gratefully received

Ray

Ray,

Try the Ships List site, they have immigrant lists.

Also have a look at Ancestry.com, currently have free offer to end of year (there is a recent post about this).

Best wishes

David

Thanks David/Jon - to answer Jon's question first - over the last few months, I've found several references similar to the snippet you mention, however, a final trawl this weekend turned up one I hadn't seen before which mentioned that the ship was involved in repatriating troops and transporting emigrants to Boston - I don't think anyone would make this up, there woud be no point.

I've previously looked at the Shipping List and turned up nothing strangely, the local libraries now have free access to Ancestry - I'll have to see what it contains nowadays.

Last night, I did some more digging and turned up the Ellis Island Foundation website which has a searchable data base (for free!) supposedly of passengers who landed in the US but also including crew and stowaways - and there he is, several times. What I need to do is download and print out the crew sheets to see how the dates match up.

Ray