Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Nurse in the Great War

kpm

Hi,

I have just acquired the following medals to a Nurse:-

ARRC [L.G. 1.1.18 – Miss Ethel Mary CUMBERLIDGE, A./Sister, Civil Hospital Reserve, St. Bartholomew’s]

1914 Star with BAR to MISS E.M. CUMERLIDGE, Civ. Hos. Res.

BWM/VIC to SISTER E. M. CUMBERLIDGE.

Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. Medal.

Ethel CUMBERLIDGE was born in Burslem, Staffordshire, in 1886.

In 1911 she was a senior probationer and was successful in passing the October Examinations at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London.

On the 21 October 1914 she joined H.M. Forces as a Nurse and agreed to serve at home or abroad, and on the 29 October 1914 she went to France as a member of the B.E.F. as a nurse with the Civil Hospital Reserve. [2 Amb. Train].

The Casualty Form – Active Service indicates that she served at No. 4 General Hospital, 29.10.14, then to No. 10 General Hospital, 8.1.16.

She then took some leave from 17.5.16 until 21.7.17 when she was posted to the 64 C.C.S. at Rouen. On 27.1.18 she transferred to the 7 Stationary Hospital, Boulogne, where she took charge of Special Medical Wards for German P.O.W.’s.

She finally returned to the U.K. on 12.3.19

On the 17 March 1920 she attended an Investiture at Buckingham Palace where she received from the King the award of the Royal Red Cross [second Class].

If anyone can add any further information I would be most grateful.

Ian.

post-3865-1165708383.jpg

Hi Ian

Bart's Archives have records of many of their nurses and may well have information about her. Try

Marion.Rea@bartsandthelondon.nhs.uk

020 7601 8152

Jenny

A nice collection, but I have yet to see a genuine issue of the 1914 Star bar to a nurse. As her casualty form shows that she served in No. 4 General Hospital, which was clearly not within reach of the enemy's artillery, I am sure that it has been mounted in error.

Norman

Norman,

I am not sure how relevant this is to your

"I have yet to see a genuine issue of the 1914 Star bar to a nurse"

however I offer it for information.

In their book 'The 1914 Star to the Royal Navy & Royal Marines' Fevyer and Wilson give the medal roll for the First British Field Hospital in Belgium. The roll has on it some 47 names. Under the column 'Clasp issued,' 2 are noted as 'Application for clasp refused'

and one other has the date of issue of the clasp, '29 Sept 1922'

It is to Secker Mr J H - Dresser

The reverse of this medal is one of those shown on the back cover of the book and it is inscribed

'J. H. Secker

Dresser

Aux. Hosp. Unit

Antwerp'

One other hospital unit is shown in F & W's book; Mrs Stobarts Hospital Unit. Here there are 3 clasp applications refused and none issued

Regards

Michael

Michael

Shows the danger of making sweeping assertions. Yes, I am aware of this roll and I meant to say that I have never yet seen a verified bar on the 1914 Star of a member of the QAIMNS, QAIMNSR, CHR or TFNS. I have the photocopied rolls of three of these units and there is not a single case.

Every time so far someone has come up with an example it has been possible to prove non-entitlement.

Of course, I could still be proved wrong.......

Norman

Hi,

Thank you for your comments.

This is a copy of the MIC which clearly shows 'CLASP'.

It also indicates '2 Amb Train' and according to Major Poulsom members of this unit could be awarded the 'CLASP'.

Obviously more research is need and I will pursue the matter further as suggested.

Ian.

post-3865-1165854972.jpg