Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed interpreting medal card

Sarah_L

I've just got my great-grandfather's medal card after his regiment was identified by his cap badge but I'm not sure about its interpretation on a few things. I'm sorry but I'm completely new at this so the answers may seem very obvious.

I can't make out what was written in the action taken box

And what does the G. stand for in Northumberland Fusiliers 1st G.B.

I know he was an old contemptible but why is the qualifying date so early, I didn't think the regiment had even left England by that date.

I can tell he got a 1914 star medal & Victory but how about the British as it looks like it's crossed out. I thought they made a comment if they had served in an theatre of war.

And finally would he have had to have been ill or wounded to have been in the Labour Corps later as he was only born in 1886 and had left the army by 1919.

I'm sorry I have so many questions but if you could help on any of them I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah

post-17486-1165679962.jpg

1st Garrison Battalion - formed August 1915 and went to malta.

but

looking at the card I think it may be -

Northumberland Fus S/No 9517 - The 1st battalion landed at Havre on 14/8/14 which would fit. On the outbreak of war they were in Portsmouth.

1st Garrison Battlion North Staffs s/no 23677-Formed at South Dalton in April 1916 - France May 1916

Labour Corps - 609521.

Possibly a regular in 1st Battalion NF and wounded early on.

stevem

1st Garrison Battalion - formed August 1915 and went to malta.

but

looking at the card I think it may be -

Northumberland Fus S/No 9517 - The 1st battalion landed at Havre on 14/8/14 which would fit. On the outbreak of war they were in Portsmouth.

1st Garrison Battlion North Staffs s/no 23677-Formed at South Dalton in April 1916 - France May 1916

Labour Corps - 609521.

Possibly a regular in 1st Battalion NF and wounded early on.

stevem

Whoops forgot - the line of the paper is going through the BWM entry, so not deleted.

stevem

Thanks for your time in answering my query. It all seems a lot clearer now. It also means I can follow his path in the 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers war diary for the first 2 months of the war which shows he wasn't wounded in that initial period.

Regards,

Sarah