Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.A.M.C

Tim Wright

I am starting to do some research into the R.A.M.C and have been trying to find a book on their history.

Tom (Morgan) has not got a book to cover this topic and nor do Naval & Military.

Does anyone know of a regimemtal style history that deals with the R.A.M.C or do i need to follow up each individual via the regiments that they were attached too?

Hello

Books on the RAMC, depends upon what you are researching. Here's a taste.

Official Histories (I have in my collection) are

The 4 General Histories of the Medical Services of the Great War, (Official History of the Great War) Machpherson, H.M.S.O 1921-1931 and are packed with detail.

Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, MacPhail, Ottawa.

The C.A.M.C.: With the Canadian Corps During the Last Hundred Days of the Great War, Snell, A. E. Publisher: F. A. Acland, Ottawa, Canada

The Australian Medical Services of the Great War 1914-1918, Butler Melbourne 1930-1943 3 Volumes

The New Zealand Medical Services in the Great War 1914-1918, Carbery, Whitombe and Tombs 1924

The Army in India and its Evolution, Calcutta, Superintendent Publishing 1924

Others, from Whites and Internet Searching

ORGANIZATION, STRATEGY AND TACTICS OF THE ARMY MEDICAL SERVICES IN WAR.Publisher: Bailliere, Tindall and Cox, London, 1937.

A HISTORY OF THE ARMY MEDICAL DEPARTMENT. VOLUME 1 AND VOLUME 2. (ONE & TWO), Chruchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, 1974, first edition

With the Royal Army Medical Corps (R.A.M.C.) At the Front Publisher: Vivian, E. Charles, Hodder & Stoughton Ltd, London, UK

Centenary History of the Royal Army Medical Corps 1898-1998, Blair, J.S.G. Scottish Academic Press Ltd, 1998

A Short History of the Royal Army Medical Corps, Col F Smith, Publisher: Published by Gale & Polden Ltd., The Wellington Press, Aldershot 1929

Seventy Years of Service; A History of the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, Nicholson, G.W.L. Nicholson, G.W.L.

The Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps School. British-Canadian Military Services. A Brief History

Not least in the crusade: a short history of the Royal Army Medical Corps, Lovegrove, Peter , Gale & Polden 1958

The Royal Army Medical Corps,McLaughlin, Redmond , Publisher: L Cooper, 1972

The Great War and the RAMC, Brereton L Col, Constable, 1919.

A Surgeon in Belguim, Scouttar H S London Arnold 1915.

Fifth Division, 13th, 14th and 15th Field Ambulances, Diary of their Movements in France, Italy, and Belguim 1914-1919 London 1919 War Narratives Publishing Co 1919.

With the Forty Fourths being a record of the doings of the 44th Field Ambulance (14th Division), London Spottiswoode Ballantyne & Co Ltd 1922

Via Ypres Story of the 39th Divisional Field Ambulances, A Jobson, London, 1934

There are more in Perkins.

Finally the Wellcome Institute Library

This does beg a much more serious question, I have seen long threads where members have built a list of books already listed in the standard bibliographies. Their lists are incomplete, and waste of their time, is it worth starting a thread to explain how to build a book list, and not just relying on searching the internet.

Hope this quick list helps

Mart

Hello

Books on the RAMC, depends upon what you are researching. Here's a taste.

Official Histories (I have in my collection) are

The 4 General Histories of the Medical Services of the Great War, (Official History of the Great War) Machpherson, H.M.S.O 1921-1931 and are packed with detail.

Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, MacPhail, Ottawa.

The C.A.M.C.: With the Canadian Corps During the Last Hundred Days of the Great War, Snell, A. E. Publisher: F. A. Acland, Ottawa, Canada

The Australian Medical Services of the Great War 1914-1918, Butler Melbourne 1930-1943 3 Volumes

The New Zealand Medical Services in the Great War 1914-1918, Carbery, Whitombe and Tombs 1924

The Army in India and its Evolution, Calcutta, Superintendent Publishing 1924

Others, from Whites and Internet Searching

ORGANIZATION, STRATEGY AND TACTICS OF THE ARMY MEDICAL SERVICES IN WAR.Publisher: Bailliere, Tindall and Cox, London, 1937.

A HISTORY OF THE ARMY MEDICAL DEPARTMENT. VOLUME 1 AND VOLUME 2. (ONE & TWO), Chruchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, 1974, first edition

With the Royal Army Medical Corps (R.A.M.C.) At the Front Publisher: Vivian, E. Charles, Hodder & Stoughton Ltd, London, UK

Centenary History of the Royal Army Medical Corps 1898-1998, Blair, J.S.G. Scottish Academic Press Ltd, 1998

A Short History of the Royal Army Medical Corps, Col F Smith, Publisher: Published by Gale & Polden Ltd., The Wellington Press, Aldershot 1929

Seventy Years of Service; A History of the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, Nicholson, G.W.L. Nicholson, G.W.L.

The Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps School. British-Canadian Military Services. A Brief History

Not least in the crusade: a short history of the Royal Army Medical Corps, Lovegrove, Peter , Gale & Polden 1958

The Royal Army Medical Corps,McLaughlin, Redmond , Publisher: L Cooper, 1972

The Great War and the RAMC, Brereton L Col, Constable, 1919.

A Surgeon in Belguim, Scouttar H S London Arnold 1915.

Fifth Division, 13th, 14th and 15th Field Ambulances, Diary of their Movements in France, Italy, and Belguim 1914-1919 London 1919 War Narratives Publishing Co 1919.

With the Forty Fourths being a record of the doings of the 44th Field Ambulance (14th Division), London Spottiswoode Ballantyne & Co Ltd 1922

Via Ypres Story of the 39th Divisional Field Ambulances, A Jobson, London, 1934

There are more in Perkins.

Finally the Wellcome Institute Library

This does beg a much more serious question, I have seen long threads where members have built a list of books already listed in the standard bibliographies. Their lists are incomplete, and waste of their time, is it worth starting a thread to explain how to build a book list, and not just relying on searching the internet.

Hope this quick list helps

Mart

Also in online edition I think! of White's should be the large 2 volume Roll of Commisisoned Officers of the Medical Service (Johnston's roll) that was published in the 1960s. It is alphabetical so you need to know the name before looking.

It includes only officers btw.

John

Toronto

Hello

My mistake I thought the question was about a book on the history of the R.A.M.C, not people in the unit. Yes rolls exist for the units.

I was also enjoying too much... reading Whites original proof copy and his additional notes.

Regards

Mart

Mart

Please let me know if/when you decide to sell off any of your OHs. I'm particularly interested in Butler Vol III and Carbery.

Cheers

Chris ;)

Hello

Sorry, I doubt it, its what I'm really interested in, the writing of history, especially Official History, English language mainly, it's obvious from my posts. I've been buying, and reading them since 1979/80, and have over a thousand. For example, I was reading last night the Indian Official History of the Siege of Delhi, most would say never produced, it's not in any list. Actually there was a slim blue paper pamphlet printed in 1892, for people visiting Delhi, the internal reference bibliography is the Governor's library. I know of only one other that has survived, in Scotland...

I have been working on my own bibliography, and in the past certain "proper" book dealers have offered to publish it, - a short (WWI) version might come out as an appendix to a friends book being written now.

If I remember properly, the Carbery is an ex NZ R.A.M.C. officer's copy, with at least one AMN photos of where he was in the UK, and the Butlers', well more than one is signed, if not all three, I suspect they might even be the authors copies. These were a very minor source of material for Anne Clayton's book on Chevasse, I can still remember the joy on her face during the special Flanders Tours tour doing Chevasse before the book, finding out she had finally access to a set, or photocopied parts. It was a real encouragement to me, up until then most people thought I was some sort of nut/idiot, an often heard comment went along the lines: "Why are you interested in those Boring books ? Get some proper regimentals or others".

There was one wonderful exception the late John Terraine, who was always interested in what I'd found out about the writing, what I'd recently got, he'd say "that's very interesting", "did you know?". He was really supportive and super kind.

Is there any specific bit your after? You never know, might get my scanner installed over Christmas.

Anyway, I will use my book buying talents today to have route around for copies. You are aware that these are rare and not cheap.

Regards

Mart

PS Like you web site too, I'm a cyclist.