Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wykehamists Who Died in the War 1914 - 1918

stiletto_33853

Now I have fully indexed these volumes I can offer look ups for anyone.

All 4 volumes of the Winchester School available for look ups (very rare I believe now).

Andy

• 2 months later...

Andy - could you please let me know what is said about an early tankee

Lt George Macpherson. Son of George and Hilda M. Macpherson of "The Lloyd House" near Wolverhampton; birth registered at Bromsgrove Apr to Jun 1896. Educated at Lockers Park and Winchester College which he left in 1915 having been head of school"

Lieutenant George Macpherson

Machine Gun Corps.

Lieutenant George Macpherson (I, 1909-1915) Son of G. Macpherson Esq., of Wolverhampton, was born on March 7th, 1896, and came to Winchester from Locker's Park: he was Senior Co. Prae. from 1914 to 1915 and played for two years in Association XI.

He obtained a commission soon after leaving school in the East Kent Regiment and was transferred thence in April 1916 to the Machine Gun Corps, eventually joining a Tank squadron. He fell near Albert on September 15th, 1916, in one of the early Tank attacks.

Hope this helps a little, if you need the full size photograph let me know.

Andy

Glad it was of use to you Stephen.

Andy

Andy,

Does the index go so far as to list battles? I am interested in any men who took part in Zeebrugge Raid 22-23/4/18.

Many thanks,

Dom

Dom,

It does not go into battles but is arranged in 4 volumes by year of entry into the school and then by date died.

For example Volume 1 is the names of a member of staff and of one hundred and thirty three Wykehamists who entered the school from 1868 to 1897.

Volume 2 contains those who died and entered the school from 1898 to 1904.

Volume 3 contains those who died who entered the school from 1905 to 1908.

Volume 4 contains those who died who entered the school from 1909 to 1913.

Each volume is arranged alphabetically.

However, I am at present entering all the names from the Rolls of Honour that I have into a database and a couple crop up for you.

One that has recently been posted on the forum is Frank Arthur Brock. I am sure that if you go to the search engine you will find it.

Another one that crops up is Major Alexander Allen Cordner, Royal Marine Light Infantry who was second in command of the 4th Battalion Royal Marine Battalion who was aboard the Vindictive.

Andy

Will see if I can get a better image tomorrow for you.

Andy

post-1871-1171930371.jpg

Major Alexander Allen Cordner.

Royal Marine Light Infantry.

Born 19th March 1880. He passed into the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, and received his first commission in the Royal Marines on 1st January 1899, being promoted Lieutenant the following New Year's Day. He obtained his Company on 1st January, 1910, and was promoted Major in January, 1917. He was qualified in physical training, musketry, and wireless telegraphy. In April, 1907, he was appointed Assistant Inspector of musketry at the Plymouth Headquarters, and before the War was borne in H.M.S. Prince of Wales for wireless duties on the staff of Rear-Admiral Bernard Currey. In August 1915, he served in Gallipoli and was invalided to Egypt with severe dysentry; but later on returned to the Cruiser Squadron to which he was attached. On attaining field rank he was transferred to the Chatham Division, and was second in command of the 4th Battalion Royal Marine Battalion in the attack on Zeebrugge, being aboard the 'Vindictive' when she went alongside the Mole. He was with the officer commanding the battalion when the Marines were gathered together in readiness to land and storm the batteries on the Mole, and was hit and killed by a shell before the order could be given for the assault, 23rd April, 1918. He leaves a widow and daughter.

Andy