Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ewen MacQueen RNR

Ryukyu

Ewen MacQueen (34) 2, Stenscholl, Staffin, Skye. Royal Naval reserve Armed Merchant Ships. After the war Deck hand MacQueen was still serving at Great Yarmouth when he was killed on 5th May 1919. He is buried in Great Yarmouth cemetery in Norfolk and his name is on the Staffin War Memorial.

Does anybody have any advice on how to find out more information about how he died? Or, in fact, anything at all would be greatly welcomed, I have no photo, and all the information I have is listed above. He is my Great Uncle on my Dad's Mum's side

Ewen MacQueen (34) 2, Stenscholl, Staffin, Skye. Royal Naval reserve Armed Merchant Ships. After the war Deck hand MacQueen was still serving at Great Yarmouth when he was killed on 5th May 1919. He is buried in Great Yarmouth cemetery in Norfolk and his name is on the Staffin War Memorial.

Does anybody have any advice on how to find out more information about how he died? Or, in fact, anything at all would be greatly welcomed, I have no photo, and all the information I have is listed above. He is my Great Uncle on my Dad's Mum's side

Hello Ryukyu

The following from the Commonwealth War Grave site;

E.MACQUEEN 19563 / Deck Hand R.N.R age 34 died 05.05.1919 H.M.S Pembroke. Have no information on his death but HMS Pembroke would have been a Shorebase establishment.

Regards

John

You could contact the Fleet Air Museum. I emailed my Gt. Uncle details and they sent me a copy of his enlistment papers free of charge although they are always grateful to receive donations. With any luck they will hold more information on your Gt. Uncle. Good Luck.

Link > click

Lorac

Ryukyu,

Can't find MacQueen in the Admiralty list of casualties at present.

John's note that he died in HMS Pembroke probably indicates that he was in the hospital.

You used the word killed, which would indicate an accident. However, if killed = died, then he could well have died from an illness. The flu' pandemic was still raging at that time.

Best wishes

David

That's a good point, it may have been Flu...

If it was HMS Pembroke then it was injury or illness right?

Does anyone know of how to clarify this, who would i contact for information?

Thanks very much for the help, really appreciate it all!!

Ryukyu,

Can't find MacQueen in the Admiralty list of casualties at present.

John's note that he died in HMS Pembroke probably indicates that he was in the hospital.

You used the word killed, which would indicate an accident. However, if killed = died, then he could well have died from an illness. The flu' pandemic was still raging at that time.

Best wishes

David

David

Sorry I gave this impression but I did not mean to imply that MacQueen died in HMS Pembroke, just that this is given as his base at the time of death. Perhaps if Ryukyu can get his Gt Uncles papers more information may become available.

Regards

John

Hello

Reference MacQueen, this man does not appear in the WW I GRO (General Registry Office) death indices.

I have found on occasions to numerous to count, that many names on town and Church Memorials are men who served in the war - not died in it or from it. PEMBROKE was his last or perhaps only duty assignment. Although you have yet to verify the circumstance, I could surmise, he died after demob.

If you do find an answer and his death was service related, I would like to know, so I can add him my dbase.

All best

don

John,

It was a combination of Ryukyu's statement that he was "still serving at Great Yarmouth" and your statement that he was at Pembroke.

Many naval people died in the hospital at Pembroke (Chatham), from the highest to the lowest ranks. Causes were usually listed as wounds, accident or illness.

No problem, the situation will be resolved if Ryukyu obtains his papers.

Best wishes

David

According to the information from the War Historian from Skye, he was still serving at the time, but I will keep you updated with news. It would be very unusual for him to stay down there, but you never know. If he had been demobbed, and died as a civilian, I will contact the local records office. Thanks for your help and if you live in these areas (I'm in Isle of Skye) and are searching records please have a look!!?