Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorials in London Borough of Merton

Chris_B

Its been just a few weeks since that I discovered that my Grandfather had a cousin killed at Ypres in 1915. Samuel George Burge is commemorated on the Menin Gate. Samuel came from Tooting/Colliers wood which was in Surrey but is now in South London.

I don't know why I did'nt think of this before, but now I'm wondering if his name appears on the memorial at Mitcham or Wimbledon, or is perhaps commemorated in Church within the area.

I've found nothing on the web. I cannot get around a the moment so I'm hoping someone with local knowledge can help me out.

ChrisB

There is certainly a memorial on Wimbledon Common although i'm not sure theres any names on it, i hope he forgives me but i think Ian Bowbrick is a South London Man - maybe he can help.

Marc

There is also a memorial at the bottom of Streatham Common.

I will contact a friend who is something of an expert on memorials

in South London. I Keep telling him he should publish all his

research.

Do you know his regiment

Geoff

Chris

Have checked with my friend and he says that there is the Wimbledon War

Memorial up in Wimbledon village and there is a book in Local History section of

Wimbledon library on Merton in the Great War. But he is unaware of anything in

Tooting itself. As I said in my previous reply there is also a memorial at the

bottom of Streatham Common. The council boundries around that area have

changed drastically over the years so its possible you man is commemorated on

one of the above two memorials.

That does not rule out that there may be a church somewhere in the area with

a plaque or memorial tucked away somewhere. I grew up in that area and although

I still live 30 minutes away, I never venture there anymore.

Geoff

Geoff & Inky,

Thanks for your interest. The memorials I'm aware of are in Wimbledon Village and Lower Green Mitcham. Somewhere behind the Fire station (I think). There may be something else at the Nelson Hospital. But I suspect that these show no names as there would be just too many...

Tooting/Wimbledon was my patch as kid, but I've been in Middlesex for many years now.

I'm going to have to get on the phone and ring round a few Churches.

ChrisB

If you do locate the memorial, I am happy to take a photo for you. I live in Blackheath, SE London. It's not far - as the crow flies - but isn't the easiest drive around the infamous South Circular.

I'm more than happy to make the trip to help you out, if you can give me the location.

There may be something else at the Nelson Hospital. But I suspect that these show no names as there would be just too many...

Chris

No names at Nelson Hospital (spent 13 months working in an office nearby in Wimbledon Chase & got off at the bus stop outside the hospital every day. There is the whole memorial wing which has a very nice inscription above the door but no names.