Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Use of the term 'blivet' in WWI?

Hoplophile

I would be very interested to know if anyone has come across instances of the term 'blivet' being used in World War I.

Many thanks!

I would be very interested to know if anyone has come across instances of the term 'blivet' being used in World War I.

Many thanks!

I heard of brevet - some kind of temporary or acting officer rank I think - I don't suppose it could be that?

I believe that's an old cavalry term: a one pound bag filled with two pounds of manure.

In U.S. Army vernacular of the '70s-'80s it was a bag of some kind, an understanding I reached based upon the context of the use of the word. I never did really know what it meant.

In U.S. Army vernacular of the '70s-'80s it was a bag of some kind, an understanding I reached based upon the context of the use of the word. I never did really know what it meant.

In that time period, we frequently used the term for large flexible rubber containers used to hold fuel at forward airfields. Doc2

In that time period, we frequently used the term for large flexible rubber containers used to hold fuel at forward airfields. Doc2

It still is. Blivets are (very) large rubberized fuel containers - look like giant black pillows - in use in the US Army now.

But I don't know the origin of the word - sorry.

BLIVET - from Wikipedia

In traditional U.S. Army slang dating back to the Second World War, a blivet was defined as "ten pounds of manure in a five pound bag," (a proverbial description of anything egregiously ugly or unmanageable); it was applied to an unmanageable situation, a crucial but substandard or damaged tool, or a self-important person.

During the Vietnam conflict, a heavy rubber bladder in which aircraft fuel or POL (petroleum, oil, and lubricants) was transported was known as a blivet, as was anything which, once unpacked, could not be replaced in its container.

zoo