Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information sought on RFC/RAF/RNAS officers

shaunhullis

Does anyone have any information on the below named officers of the RFC, RAF and RNAS? I am particularly looking for details of their squadrons, aircraft where appropriate, and the circumstances of their deaths:

2nd Lieutenant James FERGUSON RFC: killed in accident, Catterick, Yorkshire, March 12th 1917: High Wycombe Cemetery

Lieutenant Courtenay Patrick Flowerdew LOWSON RFC: killed in air collision, Scampton, November 3rd 1917: Kinfauns Parish churchyard, Perthshire

2nd Lieutenant Christopher Charles MORSE RFC: killed in air crash, Tantonville, nr. Nancy, November 14th 1917: I.G.14 Charmes Military Cemetery, Essegny

2nd Lieutenant Francis Hope PATTEN RFC: killed in air crash, Harling Road, Norfolk, January 14th 1918: B.B.212 Edinburgh Dean/Western Cemetery

Major Reginald Liddon ALDERSON RAF: died of influenza, RN Hospital, Hull, June 30th 1918: St. Mary's churchyard, Lutterworth, Leicestershire

Captain Brian Charles O'Driscoll DOUGLAS RAF: killed in air crash, Hounslow, October 21st 1918: St. Leonard’s Churchyard, Heston, New Extension

Major Russell Herbert FREEMAN MC, Croix de Guerre with palms, RAF: killed in action over Belleau, July 21st 1918: VII.D.2 Raperie British Cemetery, Villemontoire

Lieutenant Harold Belfit HILL RAF: died in air crash, Montrose, September 6th 1918: St. Editha's churchyard, Polesworth

Captain William Robert Sargent WILBERFORCE MC RAF: died in air crash, Upavon, June 2nd 1918: St. John the Baptist churchyard, Shedfield

Flight Commander Hans Acworth BUSK RNAS, killed in action over Gallipoli, January 6th 1916: panel 2 Helles Memorial, Cape Helles, Gallipoli

In return I can supply photographs and potted biographies from our school records for most of them.

Many thanks,

Shaun

Shaun,

Not sure if this is of use to you.

2nd Lieut. James Ferguson was born on May 29th, 1898 - son of J. Ferguson of Johannesburg.

He was accidentally killed in Yorkshire on March 12th, 1917.

Andy

post-1871-1165433978.jpg

Shaun

Sorry, I notice that you have the photographs and potted scholl bio's. You must be at Winchester.

Andy

Shaun,

Busk obtained Royal Aero Club ticket (his international flying licence) No. 739 on the 17th February 1914.

Busk made a forced landing in heavy seas in Short tractor biplane seaplane serial no. 79 two miles north of Fifeness on 1st January 1915. He and his passenger Lt LH Strain RNVR were rescued. Busk was based at Dundee.

Busk then wrecked Short type 74 tractor biplane seaplane at Dundee on 24th February 1915. His passenger was AM Vobe.

He was later with the Royal Naval Air Service's No.2 Wing in the Aegean. He was flying Bristol Scout type C serial 1263 4 miles NE of Kephalo on 16th December 1915 when he suffered engine failure and made a forced landing in the sea. The machine sank whilst a trawler was attempting to salvage it. Busk was rescued by a lighter.

I'm sorry but I have no details of how he met his death other than the date of 6th January 1916.

Shaun

Major Freeman was with 73 Squadron flying Sopwith Camel D1918 when he departed at 6.45 pm and was seen in combat with an enemy aircraft but thought to be alright and heading north near Belleau, but did not return. A Camel was claimed in combat at Fere-En Tardenlois that day by Lt H. Von Bulow of Ja 36

Source The Sky Their Battlefield

Hambo

Dear All,

Many thanks to all three of you for helping so quickly.

Yours,

Shaun

Shaun

Alderson was a topic of mine in Cross and Cockade International in Vol32/2 2001, I will try and attach a pdf for you. I also have a couple of photograpgs of him and one of his grave and memorial which is inside Lutterworth Parish Church, I could scan them if you wish. I sent the other documents and my research notes to the Alderson familiy history group which you can find on the web.

John

Alderson200.PDF

John-

Many thanks for the PDF of Alderson's grave and the suggested avenues for research. I'd already pulled loads of info off the net about his funeral, but had seen no photos except that of him in naval uniform which is reproduced in our school rolls of honour (do you have it? If not, I'll send you a copy). I'd be very grateful for scans of the grave and memorial.

Shaun

Shaun

Thanks Shaun for the offer. I have the one you mention, but I do have a copy of his Royal Aero Club photograph required for his flying licence if you want a copy?

I am having troubles loading these photographs, if you contact me via www.66squadron.co.uk I will send them to you.

john_g

Shaun,

Busk obtained Royal Aero Club ticket (his international flying licence) No. 739 on the 17th February 1914.

Busk made a forced landing in heavy seas in Short tractor biplane seaplane serial no. 79 two miles north of Fifeness on 1st January 1915. He and his passenger Lt LH Strain RNVR were rescued. Busk was based at Dundee.

Busk then wrecked Short type 74 tractor biplane seaplane at Dundee on 24th February 1915. His passenger was AM Vobe.

He was later with the Royal Naval Air Service's No.2 Wing in the Aegean. He was flying Bristol Scout type C serial 1263 4 miles NE of Kephalo on 16th December 1915 when he suffered engine failure and made a forced landing in the sea. The machine sank whilst a trawler was attempting to salvage it. Busk was rescued by a lighter.

I'm sorry but I have no details of how he met his death other than the date of 6th January 1916.

Shaun,

Busk failed to return from a bombing sortie Dardanelles area 6th Jan 1916

I have no further details

Regards Duncan

• 1 year later...

Hello Shaun

I would be very pleased to have any information on my uncle Harold Belfit Hill (usually known as Kit). I can supply family details to fill any gaps.

Thermuthis

Does anyone have any information on the below named officers of the RFC, RAF and RNAS? I am particularly looking for details of their squadrons, aircraft where appropriate, and the circumstances of their deaths:

2nd Lieutenant James FERGUSON RFC: killed in accident, Catterick, Yorkshire, March 12th 1917: High Wycombe Cemetery

Lieutenant Courtenay Patrick Flowerdew LOWSON RFC: killed in air collision, Scampton, November 3rd 1917: Kinfauns Parish churchyard, Perthshire

2nd Lieutenant Christopher Charles MORSE RFC: killed in air crash, Tantonville, nr. Nancy, November 14th 1917: I.G.14 Charmes Military Cemetery, Essegny

2nd Lieutenant Francis Hope PATTEN RFC: killed in air crash, Harling Road, Norfolk, January 14th 1918: B.B.212 Edinburgh Dean/Western Cemetery

Major Reginald Liddon ALDERSON RAF: died of influenza, RN Hospital, Hull, June 30th 1918: St. Mary's churchyard, Lutterworth, Leicestershire

Captain Brian Charles O'Driscoll DOUGLAS RAF: killed in air crash, Hounslow, October 21st 1918: St. Leonard's Churchyard, Heston, New Extension

Major Russell Herbert FREEMAN MC, Croix de Guerre with palms, RAF: killed in action over Belleau, July 21st 1918: VII.D.2 Raperie British Cemetery, Villemontoire

Lieutenant Harold Belfit HILL RAF: died in air crash, Montrose, September 6th 1918: St. Editha's churchyard, Polesworth

Captain William Robert Sargent WILBERFORCE MC RAF: died in air crash, Upavon, June 2nd 1918: St. John the Baptist churchyard, Shedfield

Flight Commander Hans Acworth BUSK RNAS, killed in action over Gallipoli, January 6th 1916: panel 2 Helles Memorial, Cape Helles, Gallipoli

In return I can supply photographs and potted biographies from our school records for most of them.

Many thanks,

Shaun

Thermuthis

Lt H B Hill of No 26 Training Depot Station at Edzell (formerly Royal Army Medical Corps and 3rd Battalion, Royal West Kent Regiment) was killed in an accident when flying Avro 504A B4352 on 6 September 1918. 2Lt E B Mathews was also in the aeroplane when it crashed, and was injured.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Shaun

Flight Commander Hans Ackworth Busk RNAS may have been a victim of Hans-Joachim Buddecke, an ace who was credited with two victories on 6th January 1916 over Gallipoli.

A Turkish book, "The Skies of Gallipoli" by Cenk Avci, includes the following details:

"On January 6, the Allied aeroplanes raided Galata airbase but they failed to cause any damage to the camp. Air Lieutenant Buddecke responded promptly and took off from the airbase and shot down one French Farman aeroplane under the control of pilot Leconte. She crashed on the Asiatic side between the Ozbek and Karacaviran district. Leconte died in the crash. On the afternoon of the same day, Buddecke again shot down another Allied aeroplane at Burhani area with his Fokker" (p.95).

No other source that I've looked at provides any confirmation of Buddecke's victory over Flight Commander Busk but this could be as close as we get. "The Sky Their Battlefield" suggests he came down in the sea, a victim of German Fokkers.

Jim

Gareth

Thank you very much for sending this information. I knew the outline but not the detail and it's all very useful. I can add that Kit (his full name was Harold Belfit) was in fact an instructor at Montrose and it was his pupil who crashed the plane, apparently only from 100 feet, so it was bad luck that the instructor was killed and ironic that the pupil survived. He was the second of three sons to die in the War.

Kit had a medical degree from Birmingham University which accounts for the RAMC. My mother, his sister, recorded that he began service as an orderly sweeping wards, but in 1915, with the wounded flooding in from Gallipoli, was sent to Alexandria and found himself doing surgery, amputating gangrened limbs. At the end of 1915 he transferred to the West Kents but I don't know when he moved to the RFC.

He had survived one crash in France (undated); a letter home said that" when the rescue team arrived they found two intrepid airmen smoking cigarettes [ not a good idea?] and inspecting the damage". He enjoyed flying a great deal, I gather.

With many thanks again

Thermuthis

Thermuthis

Lt H B Hill of No 26 Training Depot Station at Edzell (formerly Royal Army Medical Corps and 3rd Battalion, Royal West Kent Regiment) was killed in an accident when flying Avro 504A B4352 on 6 September 1918. 2Lt E B Mathews was also in the aeroplane when it crashed, and was injured.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

• 3 months later...

I was speaking (today) to a man who , yesterday , sold Hans Busk's death scroll , still in its tube , on e bay .

I went on to e bay to have a look . It's gone , but there's something about a Capt Hans Busk , patriarch of the Armenians in the 1880's . I wonder whether they are connected

Linden