Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

40th Pathans Memorial at Attock 1914-1918

KhyberPass

Dear Friends,

This 1935 photograph shows a wayside WW1 memorial at Attock, Pakistan (formerly British India before 1947) It belongs to the 40th Pathan Regiment or the "40 Pathans" of the Indian Army. (Now non-existent, later became redesignated/ absorbed into one of the minor battalions of the Punjab Regiment)

An article on Orbat claims that it was the earliest war memorial erected anywhere in the British Empire.

Moreover, a local tourist publication states: Across the western end of the Attock bridge is a war memorial in the shape of a .303 rifle bullet, which is in fact the earliest WW1 monument erected anywhere in the British Empire. The tall memorial stands by the wayside on the western bank of River Indus. It was erected in April 1919 to the memory of the men of the 40th Pathan Regiment who took part in the Great War 1914-1918. (Inscription on white marble tablet: War Memorial 40 Pathans) (Sehrai Travel and Tours - Railway Heritage Tourist Resort - Attock Khurd)

I just visited the memorial site and I cannot tell you how distressing it was to see its declining condition. Ever since the new bridge was laid down in 1970s nobody uses this old route anymore and people have stopped coming here. Evidently it has not been looked after in decades! (out of sight, out of mind)

Could somebody please help and look-up: How can we establish this memorial's importance with facts and figures. One would like to ascertain its worth before highlighting it and approaching (national or international organizations) for finding assistance for its upkeep, restoration and maintenance repairs etc. Are there any photographs or documents mentioning its significance? Surely, one would like to preserve this marvellous piece of history which may sadly vanish completely in a few years if nobody cared.

Are there any British organizations/ departments that provide funds for the upkeep of such old WW1 monuments and structures?

Kindly share your thoughts

Thank you,

Ali

Peshawar, Pakistan

P.S I am also interested in viewing any old general scenes or military photographs of Attock. Please mail any images to me at <alijan98@hotmail.com> you have all my gratitude for this favour as well

post-15613-1165422199.jpg

• 16 years later...

Hi Ali, responding only a few years late, but I would love to know if you made any progress with this. My great-great-uncle served with the 40th Pathans and was killed in the war, so this is of personal interest to me.