Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers in Russia

Andrew Hesketh

Could anyone help point me in the right direction?

I know next to nothing about the activities of British units in the Russian Civil War but need to find out much more as quickly as possible as I've just come across a chap from my locality who is recorded on the Archangel Memorial. I give his details below (I've already checked CWGC, SDGW and local newspapers) and if anyone can enlighten me or direct me to recommended reading / websites I would be most grateful.

William Edward Wright, Private, 131207, 45th Royal Fusiliers (when was this created?), killed in action on the 14th of September 1919. No known grave, commemorated on the Archangel Memorial.

Much appreciated,

Andrew

:blink:

Andrew

There was a discussion about the Allied interventions in Russia a couple of weeks ago somewhere else in this forum. I can't remeber which section it was in but have a wee search and you will find lots of sources listed.

Also look for 'The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War' by H.C. O'Neill. Published by Heinemann in 1922.

Cheers

Adam

Andrew

You might care to look at the Australian War Memorial's site, which has an section about Allied Intervention in North Russia at:

http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/north_russia.htm

Under that heading is an article titled "A Pathetic Sideshow" about the Intervention, with considerable detail (at least by Russia 1919 standards) on the 45th Royal Fusiliers, as about a company of that battalion were ex-Australian Imperial Force troops.

I hope this helps

5F.1 Dolphin

Thanks guys I'll pursue those lines of enquiry. Much appreciated.

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew

The 45th Bn.Royal Fusiliers was formed in London in April 1919 & were disbanded in December 1919.

The battalion was on the River Dvina front in September 1919. At this time plans were in hand to withdraw all British forces from N.Russia and troops were being evacuated by river from the Kurgomin, Topsa & Tulgas areas and the line was being handed over to White Russian troops. On the night of 14/15th September men of 45th RF attacked some Bolshevik blockhouses at Nevonovskaya and pursued the retreating reds as far as the village of Bulanovskaya. There was a counter attack and the reds re-took Nevonovsaya. (See "At War with the Bolsheviks" Robert Jackson 1972)

I am afraid I don't know if the villages still exist or still have the same names, it looks as if Pte Wright was one of the Battalion's last casualties before they were withdrawn although there were 3 more fatal casualties on 16th September when a barge carrying 'B' company was shot up. The last British troops from the Dvina front appear to have embarked at Archangel on 26th/27th September for evacuation to UK.

Hope this helps

Mike_H

Mike,

Sorry for the delay in responding. You've given me some very useful information and leads. I'm most grateful for your time.

All the best,

Andrew

• 15 years later...

KIA during the defence of the village of Nevonovskayam 14 September 1919, this was one of the last actions fought by the Royal Fusiliers in Russia.

289.png

• 3 years later...

129533 Edward Heathfield has a surviving service record. At the top of his Army Form B.103, for "Regiment or Corps" it states 'Royal Fusiliers Rel. Force N. Russia'. It also records the following: Enlisted 28 April 1919 (at Exeter), terms of service One Year. The reverse of the Army Form B.103 records his time in North Russia from 31 May 1919 to 7 October 1919. He re-embarked at Archangel on 27 September 1919 and disembarked at Plymouth on 8 October 1919. He was discharged from the Royal Fusiliers on 26 January 1920, in order to re-enlist with the Welch Regiment for 4 years under Army Order 155 of 1919, service number 88466.

Heathfield had re-enlisted in the South Wales Borderers for Short Service on 15 November 1914 at Exeter, service number 15264. He was taken prisoner in May 1916. His respective Army Form B.103 records 'Repatriated and arrived at Dover, and posted to depot 11 December 1918.' His Army Form B.178 states 'Became non-effective by Transfer to Class 3 Army Reserve on Demobilization on 14 day of March 1919.'

Originally, Heathfield had enlisted in the South Wales Borderers on 13 September 1901, service number 7094. He appears on the 1911 Census in South Africa with the 2nd Battalion. He was Time Expired on 12 September 1913, having served all twelve years with the colours, but was to join the Army Reserve Section D on 30 October 1913. Although this was for 4 years, his service is recorded as coming to an end on 30 September 1914.

• 2 years later...

GS/131332 Robert Joseph Kerr appears on the Royal Fusiliers medal roll. It advises that he served in 46th Battalion. By definition, he served in North Russia.

Medal roll dataset:
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5119

There is no surviving service record with the Ministry of Defence in the index published in 2014
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61448

A quick search of the WFA dataset, comprising Ministry of Pensions cards, has failed to return any results.

41 minutes ago, Neville Ian Scarlett said:

Can anyone give me advice on how to look up Robert Joseph Kerr’s military records? He was born in Donegal in 1899 and I think joined the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and was then attached to another unit as part of the Russian or Northern Expeditionary Force. I cannot find any records in Irish or Uk archives online. The fact that he was in the army in the late stages of the war and then afterwards, and also because Ireland exited the Union in 1922, may account for the lack of information?

Thanks.

Given his date of birth, I think he may well have been undergoing training at the end of WW1, and never made it to France or any other theatre or war prior to 11 November 1918, which would explain why he does not have a medal index card for the RDF.

The aforementioned soldier definitely went to Russia. I think he took up the opportunity to join one of the two Battalions formed for service in North Russia, and that he became eligible for two campaign medals, as a consequence.

The WW2 fire at Arnside Street in the south west of London resulted in most service records of the British Army, for the time period 1914-1920, being destroyed. I think this is the most likely explanation as to why his service record has not survived.  

Thank you very much indeed Keith. I will look this over in more detail in the next couple of days. You’re very good to have come back so quickly. 

Thank you. There is a service record for GS/131345 Raymond Clark, born 3 March 1900, that may shed some light on movements to and from Russia. He commenced his military service in the 53rd Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment, TR10/181191.

The go-to publication on the North Russia intervention is

Wright, Damien (2017). 
Churchill's Secret War with Lenin: British and Commonwealth Military Intervention in the Russian Civil War, 1918-20.
Solihull: Helion. ISBN 978-1-911512-10-3.

If you can travel to Kew, the war diaries are there, but have not been transcribed. 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4558582

Reference: WO 95/5430

Ordering and viewing options

This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.

Thank you again Keith. What started me researching this yesterday was hearing about Anna Reid’s recent publication ‘A Nasty Little War’ from the BBC History Extra podcast. 

1 minute ago, Neville Ian Scarlett said:

Thank you Keith. How did you discover Robert Joseph Kerr GS/131332 was in the 46th Battalion? When I look up the Royal Fusiliers medal roll I see only his service number and medals. 

Oops, typo on my part. He was in fact in the 45th Battalion.

Image of medal roll courtesy Ancestry.
Link further up the page.

Kerr WO 329 789.JPG