Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Hesketh

Royal Fusiliers in Russia

Andrew Hesketh

Could anyone help point me in the right direction?

I know next to nothing about the activities of British units in the Russian Civil War but need to find out much more as quickly as possible as I've just come across a chap from my locality who is recorded on the Archangel Memorial. I give his details below (I've already checked CWGC, SDGW and local newspapers) and if anyone can enlighten me or direct me to recommended reading / websites I would be most grateful.

William Edward Wright, Private, 131207, 45th Royal Fusiliers (when was this created?), killed in action on the 14th of September 1919. No known grave, commemorated on the Archangel Memorial.

Much appreciated,

Andrew

:blink:

brownag

Andrew

There was a discussion about the Allied interventions in Russia a couple of weeks ago somewhere else in this forum. I can't remeber which section it was in but have a wee search and you will find lots of sources listed.

Also look for 'The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War' by H.C. O'Neill. Published by Heinemann in 1922.

Cheers

Adam

Dolphin

Andrew

You might care to look at the Australian War Memorial's site, which has an section about Allied Intervention in North Russia at:

http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/north_russia.htm

Under that heading is an article titled "A Pathetic Sideshow" about the Intervention, with considerable detail (at least by Russia 1919 standards) on the 45th Royal Fusiliers, as about a company of that battalion were ex-Australian Imperial Force troops.

I hope this helps

5F.1 Dolphin

Andrew Hesketh

Thanks guys I'll pursue those lines of enquiry. Much appreciated.

All the best,

Andrew

Mike_H

Andrew

The 45th Bn.Royal Fusiliers was formed in London in April 1919 & were disbanded in December 1919.

The battalion was on the River Dvina front in September 1919. At this time plans were in hand to withdraw all British forces from N.Russia and troops were being evacuated by river from the Kurgomin, Topsa & Tulgas areas and the line was being handed over to White Russian troops. On the night of 14/15th September men of 45th RF attacked some Bolshevik blockhouses at Nevonovskaya and pursued the retreating reds as far as the village of Bulanovskaya. There was a counter attack and the reds re-took Nevonovsaya. (See "At War with the Bolsheviks" Robert Jackson 1972)

I am afraid I don't know if the villages still exist or still have the same names, it looks as if Pte Wright was one of the Battalion's last casualties before they were withdrawn although there were 3 more fatal casualties on 16th September when a barge carrying 'B' company was shot up. The last British troops from the Dvina front appear to have embarked at Archangel on 26th/27th September for evacuation to UK.

Hope this helps

Mike_H

Andrew Hesketh

Mike,

Sorry for the delay in responding. You've given me some very useful information and leads. I'm most grateful for your time.

All the best,

Andrew

wrightdw

KIA during the defence of the village of Nevonovskayam 14 September 1919, this was one of the last actions fought by the Royal Fusiliers in Russia.

289.png