Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ss Jupiter

chrisharley9

Does anybody please have any details on this vessel & the circumstances of its loss - the Master J S Penwill is listed in the E Sussex Corners Records

All The Best

Chris

Jupiter, a 2124 grt steamer built in 1901, owned by W.C. Bradley & Sons of Hull that was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UB 40 on May 21, 1917 at 50°38'N, 00°05'W whilst on a voyage from Dieppe to Manchester in ballast. 19 killed including the master.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael

thanks for the excellent info

Chris

When I saw Jupiter I was thinking of HMS Jupiter, damn!! Anyway does anyone know why a family members service record shows a special mention of him being "on HMS Jupiter September 1915"? Is there any significance to this date?

Lionboxer

When I saw Jupiter I was thinking of HMS Jupiter, damn!! Anyway does anyone know why a family members service record shows a special mention of him being "on HMS Jupiter September 1915"? Is there any significance to this date?

Lionboxer

Hello lionboxer

The only information which may be of any signficance is HMS JUPITER 11 P/S 394 tons, built 1895. Hired as Minesweeper 15.5.1915-29.5.20.

There was also HMS JUPITER Battleship, built 1895 broken up 1920.

Regards

John

Chris,

Not sure if this helps, but THM list only shows 17 casualties drowned (ie without known graves). Implication being that 2 men died later.

Powell is not listed.

Best wishes

David

David

Penwill is buried at Seaford his body having been washed ashore

Chris