Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the daisy patch

Guest gumbirsingpun

Guest gumbirsingpun

hi friends

i have got thousands of maps including all the battles of the trench warfare period at cape helles, my problem is that none of them shows the location of the daisy patch, did any of you manage to identify the location of it

regards

tuna

Hi Tuna,

The daisy patch is in the Anzac sector on the 400 Plateau (Lone Pine/ Johnstone's Jolly area).

Regards

Chris

Here is a map showing the Daisy Patch, from Richard Stowers' Bloody Gallipoli

post-554-1165298505.jpg

Guest gumbirsingpun

chris and christine, i thank you both for the replies,

christine, im very grateful to you for the map you have attached to your post, its been very helpfull to me as i was trying to locate the daisy patch

regards

tuna

Tuna.

though not named on here, you might find this trench map extract of the area of use...

Dave

post-357-1165308996.jpg

...and from the O.H. ...

post-357-1165310093.jpg

Hello Tuna,

Sorry to have confused you. It appears there were two areas known as the daisy patch at Gallipoli, one at Helles and one at Anzac. Just looking at map 17 in Bean's Vol 1 and the one at Anzac is in the NE corner of Lone Pine between Brown's Dip and Owen's Gully.

Regards

Chris

Tuna,

There is a chapter on the New Zealanders at The Daisy Patch here

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WaiNewZ-c9-2.html

No map but a useful description

"The converging machine-gun fire from the clumps of fir trees swept the ground like a hose. This famous “daisy patch” was situated just to the left of a dry creek-bed running from near the village of Krithia down the centre of the Peninsula towards the Cape—a piece of ground about 100 yards across, absolutely devoid of cover; apparently it had once been sown with some crop, but was now overgrown with the common red poppy of the field and countless longstemmed daisies comparable to the dog daisy of England and New Zealand. The bank of the creek afforded good cover, and the Turkish snipers took full toll of our men. The troops had hardly got a quarter of the way across the patch when there burst a further terrific storm of machinegun and rifle fire. Heavily laden with entrenching tools and equipment, the troops were exhausted and could go no farther. By 3 p.m. the thin line was digging itself in."

regards

Michael

Guest gumbirsingpun

chris,

you didnt confuse me :), to be honest,i didna know there was another place called the daisy patch on the peninsula,

michael,you hae showed me again that yer posted up in the subject o gallipoli, thanks alot for the link :)

regards

tuna

Tuna,

In August 2003 Bill Sellars and I went looking to locate the Daisy Patch. We had a map showing the location (which I can't find at the moment). The photo below shows what we believe is the area, looking towards what were the Turkish lines. Bill (small white object right of centre) is standing in the small stream, the banks of which many survivors sheltered below. No daisies when we were there!

post-854-1165548600.jpg

• 3 months later...