Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC wild cards

Coldstreamer

Any one know why you cant do wild card searches any more ?

I can't remember there being a wildcard. I just stop before the awkward bits and it gives me a selection....

Steve.

perhaps its me going mad ?

Thanks

Didnt know you used %

Thanks

Didnt know you used %

Curious. Just out of interest what character were you using for wildcard searches that worked up until recently but no longer?

Gary

** - thats what I always use on wildcards

** - thats what I always use on wildcards

For SQL queries on databases '%' (which means match to any number of characters in this position) is normally used as a wildcard character. The underscore character '_' means match to any single character in this position. Both of these work on the CWGC website.

Gary

Didnt know you used %

Me, neither.

But it explains how Terry managed to find a chap of mine called Chevalier was really Le Chevalier.

Practitioners of the black arts are at work here, my friends.

John

For SQL queries on databases '%' (which means match to any number of characters in this position) is normally used as a wildcard character. The underscore character '_' means match to any single character in this position. Both of these work on the CWGC website.

Gary

cheers for the info Gary

Gary

The character * can also be used as a wildcard, it just depends what the dayabase is and what type of script is being used to access it.

Andy

The character * can also be used as a wildcard, it just depends what the dayabase is and what type of script is being used to access it.

Andy

Of course. Microsoft Jet SQL, for example, uses '*' and '?' but if you aren't sure of the database architecture then I find it's generally better to start with ANSI SQL ('%' and '_') then try vendor-specific variants.

Gary

amazing the info you get - and its not all WW1!