Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Three more possible non-commemorations

John_Hartley

I'd welcome any assistance in seeing if I've missed these amongst CWGC (or, indeed, GRO Overseas deaths:

Pte Richard Pawson Jackson, 23347, Manchester Regiment.

Commemorated on the Stockport War Memorial as a Manchester. Stockport Advertiser, of 6/10/16, reports him killed in action on 26 August 1916, aged 25.

Sapper John Melville

The name of J Melville is amongst the Royal Engineers on the Stockport Memorial. Press in 1915 reports "Official intimation has been received that Sapper John Melville of the Royal Engineers has died of wounds at Bethune". Of course, always possible that you shouldnt always believe everything you read in the press - but someone might have and put his name forward. As far as I can tell this is not a confusion with the Sapper John Melville who died in 1917 (who appears to ahve no connection with the Stockport area).

Pte Thomas Yarwood, 7167, 16/Manchester

SDGW gives a killed in action on 21 March 1918. Local press also reports death and he is commemorated on the Heaton Mersey memorial.

TIA

John

is it me or do we seem to be finding more of these recently that arent listed ?

even "found" one in the coldstream guards whose medal I have

I'm just at "that stage" of research into the next batch on the memorials. These are my last three, so it'll probably be another 12 months before I mention it again.

Obviously as more folk undertake research (and it's a growing interest), the more will turn up.

John

John,

Do you think this is a possibility?

A

Name: MELVELL

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 23rd Field Coy.

Date of Death: 03/02/1915

Service No: 20735

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. D. 78.

Cemetery: BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY

I'd welcome any assistance in seeing if I've missed these amongst CWGC (or, indeed, GRO Overseas deaths:

Pte Richard Pawson Jackson, 23347, Manchester Regiment.

Commemorated on the Stockport War Memorial as a Manchester. Stockport Advertiser, of 6/10/16, reports him killed in action on 26 August 1916, aged 25.

Sapper John Melville

The name of J Melville is amongst the Royal Engineers on the Stockport Memorial. Press in 1915 reports "Official intimation has been received that Sapper John Melville of the Royal Engineers has died of wounds at Bethune". Of course, always possible that you shouldnt always believe everything you read in the press - but someone might have and put his name forward. As far as I can tell this is not a confusion with the Sapper John Melville who died in 1917 (who appears to ahve no connection with the Stockport area).

Pte Thomas Yarwood, 7167, 16/Manchester

SDGW gives a killed in action on 21 March 1918. Local press also reports death and he is commemorated on the Heaton Mersey memorial.

TIA

John

John,

This would appear to be one of them. Your guess is as good as mine which spelling is correct !;

MELVELL

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 23rd Field Coy.

Date of Death: 03/02/1915

Service No: 20735

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. D. 78.

Cemetery: BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY

Can't help with the other two for the moment (although there are MIC's) because the wildcard facility on the CWGC site is no longer working.

Cheers.

Andy.

because the wildcard facility on the CWGC site is no longer working.

I noticed that too...shame as it was useful

Yep. That's Melville/Melvell sorted. Born Manchester. Enlisted Stockport.

Must see if I can find which is his real name.

Ta, chaps.

John

because the wildcard facility on the CWGC site is no longer working.

I noticed that too...shame as it was useful

The wildcard facility (%) seems to be working now. Perhaps just a temporary blip?

Gary

Anyone care to practice the black arts to ID Jackson or Yarwood - or does it look like I have a couple of non-commems?

Would appreciate the help.

John

john,thomas yarwood is the one i found last year,terry confirmed him as a non comm,he worked for the refuge assurance co in manchester,i believe hes also on their roll of honour,i think you helped me to confirm his death,type in his name on the search engine it should come up,your DC outlay is safe john,he was a non comm,bernard

john,you replied to my query about t yarwood last year,one of your answers advised me to contact the local press,why dont you ask them to print the names of your non comms,they may still have family in stockport,and with a bit of luck,they may already have documentation about them,you could also add that you are seeking info on all those on the memorial,its worth a go mate,bernard

Ta. I'll get the DC then and bang it in to the Commission via the Forum.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

John

john,hold fire with the DC on yarwood,didnt terry say official proof of him is enough,i have the official 1915 medal rolls from the preston records office for the 16th manchesters, thomas yarwoods death is listed as,assumed killed 21-3-1918,SDGW is ok for supporting info,wont that be enough,bernard

Always get the DC. Then there can never be an argument.

Agreed. Small price to pay.

Bernard - I'm assuming, from your comments, that you didnt take this one up with CWGC last year?

John

Agreed. Small price to pay.

Bernard - I'm assuming, from your comments, that you didnt take this one up with CWGC last year?

John

no john,i got sidetracked during my photocopying frenzy at the library,bernard

john,there are 2 small ref in the manchester papers about sam knowles,both say he lived at cooper st,stockport,bernard