Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dragging out an 18 pounder gun

Chris Foster

post-16754-1165241159.jpg

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Great War Forum. This is a painting I did for a friend last year - an 18 pounder.

Chris CPGW

Great painting Chris. Did you use a photograph for inspiration, I'm sure I've seen one very similar.

Roger.

Great work — to my untutored eye it captures both the detail of an illustration and the effort and emotion of the scene.

Mick

Great painting Chris. Did you use a photograph for inspiration, I'm sure I've seen one very similar.

Roger.

Hi Roger

Yes you are quite right, I based the painting on a photograph taken by Frank Hurley, First Official Photographer to the Australian Imperial Forces, you can find some of his work on the website "Heritage of The Great war"

Chris - Marvelous painting! Well done! It may have occurred to you but if not...You could take sections of your painting, sort of focus in on the section and have a separate work of art. Looking at the near two or three figures pulling on the artillery piece for example - just by themselves - that would be excellent. Just a thought.

I'm a big fan of Frank Hurley - especially his double negative photos where he superimposed one scene on another - very inventive!

All the best,

Dan

B):ph34r:

Great...............art I love.............a RGA fan

gunner..............not very active but always watching with great interest.

That gun must have really been stuck in the mud to have had all those guys pulling her out. Artillery gun sections had fewer soldiers during my day, '70s-'80s, so I presume guys from another gun section came over to help.