Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Thomas Gray - Stoker 2nd Class

russgray7

Hello All,

Could anyone tell me how I find the service record of my Great Uncle, George Thomas Gray from Trimdon Foundry, Co. Durham. He is listed in the 1901 census as being 'crew' and a stoker 2nd class and 'navy men'. He was then 19 years old. I was hoping to discover if he had any war record (or any record for that matter) but what I have to go on seems extremely slender to say the least.

Many thanks for your attention,

Russ

Hello All,

Could anyone tell me how I find the service record of my Great Uncle, George Thomas Gray from Trimdon Foundry, Co. Durham. He is listed in the 1901 census as being 'crew' and a stoker 2nd class and 'navy men'. He was then 19 years old. I was hoping to discover if he had any war record (or any record for that matter) but what I have to go on seems extremely slender to say the least.

Many thanks for your attention,

Russ

Hello Russ

Your Great Uncle's service record his here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=4

Name Gray, George Thomas

Official Number: 296164

Place of Birth: Trimdon Foundry, Durham

It will cost £3.50 for his service record but i have recently brought a record of my great grandfather and it is worth it.

Hope that helps!

Scott

Cheers Scott, that information was brilliant. I never realised there was so much information on the archives.

Some stuff I don't understand:- he was paid war gratuity so presumably he served in the war.

The ships he served in were Pembroke 2, Furious, Hermes, Repulse, Dominion, Indomitable, Actaeon(?) and St. George.......were these warships?

He was on the Euryalus from 1 Aug 1914 - 16 Feb 1915, and Pembroke 2 from 16 Feb to 11 June 1915.

He got a gratuity for raising Medusa Oct. 00. ??

Joined RFR Chatham 26 October 1912 - what was that?

It also says KC no. 6926 issued 23/7/19 but it also says he died on 3 April 1916 at South Shields...what does that mean.

Does any of this mean anything to anyone.

Again thanks Scott and in advance to anyone who can help,

Russ

Think Pembroke 2 was a shore base.

From what i have just checked it would seem that most of the ships you mentioned were cruisers and battleships, but its worth checking for yourself as i might have made a mistake.

Try this site for pictures of the ships and some details on them

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/

Joined RFR Chatham 26 October 1912, means he he joined the Royal Fleet Reserve Chatham at that date.

Don't know about the rest. Hopefully someone on the forum will be able to give you some more help.

His enlistment papers should be at Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Hope that helps

All the best

Scott

Furious, Hermes, Repulse, Dominion, Indomitable, and St. George were all warships.

Pembroke II was a shore base.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks everyone,

Charles, I have tried all-ways to get this downloaded (I have even cropped it in half) but cannot get it accepted. If you have any advice as to how to get this to you or onto this site I would be pleased to hear it. If someone with more knowledge than me were able to cast an eye over it I think far more light could be shed.

Russ

Sorry Charles, I have cropped it down to just 1 line and it is still to large; possibly I am doing something wrong.

Just one question however, why in the NA records are there no campaign medals if he served in the war? It definately says he served on the Euryalus from 1 Aug 14 to 16 Sept 15. Would he not be entitled to any?

Russ

Russ,

He would be entitled to medals the Euryalus was in reserve at Heligoland Bight and present at the Suvla Landings Gallipoli, not a medal expert but the 14/15 Star British War Medal and Victory medal. There are also other campaigns he could be involved with. Try and change the file the Service record is on to a JPeg file and resize to less than 100kb.

Regards Charles

• 3 months later...

Medal entitlement were not record on the services records, they are kept elsewhere in the national archives.

James

The Royal Navy produced alphabetical medal rolls (these are offline at Kew in ADM 171), without Medal Index Cards and didn't record campaign medals on the service registers.

As a quick rule of thumb: if the man was on an active ship 1914-1915 he received a trio, otherwise they got a pair. If ashore for the entire war he probably got a BWM, the other exception was the RND who got the 1914 Star.