Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grieving Widows and Hospitalization

Guest mruk

A shocking thing to happen Dave, and i should imagine, not uncommon. I would be very interested to know how you would go on about researching this.

Regards, Chris.

A shocking thing to happen Dave, and i should imagine, not uncommon. I would be very interested to know how you would go on about researching this.

Regards, Chris.

I will second Chris's fascination with your topic. It would be quite interesting to put it mildly to study the military families alone and what happended to them immediately prior to the war, during the war and after the war. Family dissolution, dissonance, marital discord and abuse, separation and divorce, emigration patterns, child abuse, poverty, income levels, etc....! Clearly the WIVES of soldiers are generally neglected to the silent sufferers who with their stiff upper (unmustachioed!:) lips did their bit as good supporting wives should. Yet what happened clearly to the indertiminate numbers of wives who who were hearbroken when they received they news that they were widows (especially the married ones with several smaller children ot support?). Please keep us posted if either the military authorities (but far more likelier the CIVIL authorities and private charities including church organizations) still had formal or semi-formal working arraangements that certain hospitals would receive such stressed out etc...wives.

Thanks,

John