Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gloucester Castle as troop ship

Paul Webb

I understand that the Gloucester Castle was used as a hospital ship and torpedoed, but from my research she was also used as a troop ship in September 1914, one unit that was taken to France on her was the 1st Bn Glosters, would there be lists or manifests still in existence that would show who was on board and when, as a troop ship?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

Here is a little bit of info of the Gloucester Castle i am also trying to research the Gloucestar as my Grandfather was on board when it was torpedoed in 1917

Allan

She served from 24/9/1914 to 9/9/1919., including Gallipoli, and was then returned.

She was torpedoed on 31/3/1917, while carrying 399 casualties, 300 of these were cot cases. All but one were saved but three died during the transfer. She was eventually towed back to Southampton a fortnight later and repaired.

In July 1942, she was posted missing and it was not until the end of the war that it was known that she had been sunk on 16th July at approx. 08.00S 01.00E by the German surface raider MICHEL. 92 passengers and crew were killed. Two lifeboats containing 61 people were picked up by the raider and taken to Japan as prisoners. Two of which died in captivity.

I understand that the Gloucester Castle was used as a hospital ship and torpedoed, but from my research she was also used as a troop ship in September 1914, one unit that was taken to France on her was the 1st Bn Glosters, would there be lists or manifests still in existence that would show who was on board and when, as a troop ship?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Allan

Thanks for this, however, I am led to understand that she initially left Southampton with soldiers of the BEF on 13th/14th Septeber 1914, including soldiers of 1st Bn Glosters.

Paul

1. Paul

Nothing like making a positive statement, only to induce the likelihood that someone in the Forum knows the real facts ! So,I will say that it would have been more likely for it to be not common knowledge that the GC carried troops to France in 1914,and that what papers there were at the time would be only Battalion ones which would know who was sent,but that the ship's papers only say how many officers and men were carried. I don't think it was required that a manifest, as we would expect from a commercial voyage,was lodged by,effectively,a Govt vessel.

2. Allan

My wife's Uncle was on board in the Great War too. He was an Ordinary Seaman,who had the good fortune to be posted off to another Hospital Ship (Soudan) a few weeks before the torpedo hit ! He was not on board for Gallipoli,but was involved in many runs from Le Havre and other French Channel ports to Southampton (Netley Military Hospital).

Best wishes

Sotonmate

The HMHS Gloucester Castle, 7,999 grt, was torpedoed and damage on 31st March 1917 by German submarine UB 32 in 50°11'N-00°31'W, Isle of Wight area, English Channel, towed to port. 3 lives were lost.

Best wishes

David

Paul/Allan,

There are actually some passenger lists available for the Union castle line SS Gloucester Castle, try embarkation file BT26/600/57 for July 1914 prior to being torpedoed and brouse from there; theres agood few. As Sotonmate mentions these generally give Unit, and Officers but seldom rank and file. There is also an official diary at WO95/4145 for the last months of the war and up to 1920, confirming its troop ship status. My lot were on the Kenilworth Castle , also used as a troop ship which is how I know

Regards Paul

Paul(s)

You might find that BT26/600/57 concerns the inward bound passengers for probably the final Cape Service voyage before the GC was commissioned for Government service. also that the series BT27/856 will show the outbound passengers from Southampton for the period June to September 1914. These too are likely to have some element of GC sailings to the Cape early in this period,but likely not for military to Europe.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanksyou all for your help, I'll try some of these

Regards

Paul

• 2 months later...

The Gloucester Castle carried the Portsmouth Battalion of the Royal Marine Light Infantry from Avonmouth to the Island of Lemnos (near Gallipoli) departing 28/29 February 1915 as part of fleet carrying Royal Naval Division.

If you 'google' ss Gloucester Castle you will find some sites with photos