Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Numbers

mysticalmac

Is it at all possible to tell which battalion a soldier was with by his service number as my Grand father had two first being S/10940 which i think is Seaforth Highlanders Special Reserve and the other was 33907 so if anyone could give me an insight into these numbers i would be so grateful.

Allan

S/10940 would probably be an early Service Bn,number,of 1914.

His MiC should show a date he served O/S,which in turn may indicate which Battalion he originally served O/S with,a reference to the Medal Roll pages may well give All Battalions served with.

Hi

thanks for the reply but the MIC i have got is very confusing as it says he was only in for around 17 days and i dont know how to find out if there is any more MIC's for him or how to go about getting them (any tips would be very helpful)

Regards

Allan

S/10940 would probably be an early Service Bn,number,of 1914.

His MiC should show a date he served O/S,which in turn may indicate which Battalion he originally served O/S with,a reference to the Medal Roll pages may well give All Battalions served with.

post-16772-1165254616.jpg

This MiC is what is often referred to as a Silver War Badge Card,with the Medal Issue section rubber stamped in a Blank corner,His Battalion is given @ the top as Third {3rd Bn} Seaforths & it shows he was discharged "Sick" obviously after only a short period & granted a SWB{this appears to have been rescinded & a further entry made on anothe list{if you obtain the SWB List{s} pages referred to {List No/*** on Card,they will give hopefully details of his enlistment,discharge,possibly age,& just possibly reason for discharge{other than the ubiquitous KRs392 x,xi,etc}one will have been "struck through" & he must have been discharged again @ a later date.

The SWB Rolls are available @ the NA;but not presently available in total online.