Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9 Aug 1915-6th Lincolns

jim_davies

Getting myself confusing as to where the 6th Lincolns were on 9 Aug 1915.

I'd also though Hill 70/Scimitar Hill, but the more I read the more confused I get.

That morning the battalion forms up, and meets with the 6th Border on the West side of Chocolate Hill for a planned attack towards W Hill, (ie to the east-and a little south).

They came under fire from the north-east (ie Scimitar Hill), which was errorously believed to be in British hands, but had been given up.

An account by Lt-Col Phelps makes clear the battalion was engaged at Hill 70, yet other accounts give Green Hill/Hill 50 as the scene of the fighting. The few men who have known graves are buried at Green Hill Cemetery.

When the battalion pulled back they held a line stretching from Sulajik south to Green Hill.

So was it a matter of the battalion being spread across a front encompassing both Scimitar and Green Hills or am I just confusing myself for the sake of it??

Jim (Confused)

Agreed that it is not easy to follow, especially when the Hills are sometimes given names and sometimes known by numbers/heights

From Ray Westlake's "British regiments at Gallipoli"

Relieved (8th August 1915) and to Divisional Reserve at Lala Baba.

Advanced south of Salt Lake for attack on Ismail Oglu Tepe (9th August 1915). Halted at Chocolate Hill then at 5.15 am continued forward. Came under heavy fire from Scimitar Hill and deployed - 'A' Company on right with 'D' Company behind, 'B' Company on left supported by 'C'. Records show that attacking troops - 6th Border on right, 7th Staffordshire in centre, 6th Lincolnshire on left, had been informed that Scimitar Hill was held by British troops. Scrub caught fire and withdrawal ordered by Commanding Officer - Lieutenant Colonel M. P. Phelps at 12.15 pm. Retired to trenches 300 yards to rear, many wounded being left in burning scrub. Line held running approximately from Hill 50 to Sulajik. Captain and Adjutant P. H. Hansen, with volunteers made several journeys into the fire to bring back wounded. For his courage and leadership he was subsequently awarded the Victoria Cross. Relieved (12th August 1915) and to beach at Lala Baba. Casualties - Captain P. L. Browne, J. T. Lewis; Lieutenants T. G. Parkin, G. M. Hewart, K. J. W. Peake, R. L. Cooke, R. D. Forster, R. L. Hornbsby killed; 4 other officers wounded or missing; 391 other ranks killed, wounded or missing. Many of the wounded had been burned alive in the scrub fire. Major General Simpson records that none of the missing were ever seen again. Strength at beginning of attack - 17 officers, 561 other ranks."

quote: "So was it a matter of the battalion being spread across a front encompassing both Scimitar and Green Hills or am I just confusing myself for the sake of it??"

The map (Sketch 26) in the OH (vol II, pp296 & 7) for 7 pm on the 9th August 1915 suggests that 7 battalions held the line south from Sulajik to Green Hill

regards

Michael

further to the above

Page 290 of the OH gives a description of the orders for the advance; the Lincolns were on the left (northern end) of a line running north-east from Green Hill to Kanil Keupru Dere (on the opposite side of Scimitar Hill)

I understand this to put them on the northern slope of Scimitar Hill, rather than on Green Hill

Which is also suggested on the next page where a few more details about the attack are given

(from the OH p291)

"All unknown to General Maxwell, however, Scimitar Hill had been evacuated during the night. As soon as the Lincolnshire and South Staffordshire began to approach it, they were met by considerable fire, and at the same moment a stream of Turks came pouring down the slopes of the Anafarta spur.

The two battalions pressed forward to attack, but both suffered heavily from Turkish shrapnel fire. The South Staffordshire was particularly unfortunate, for the colonel, adjutant, second-in-command and all four company commanders were hit, and in the face of this trial the advance faded away. Small parties of the battalion however, pushed on with the Lincolnshire; the northern end of Scimitar Hill was again reoccupied; and though the line recoiled more than once, it was carried back each time to the top of the hill............................................"

Having said that however, I can quite see that in a battle which went back and forth so many times and with the scrub fire/smoke taken into account, then it would not be surprising to find units mixed up and descriptions of fighting coming in from different areas

regards

Michael