Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died while being nursed by his mother

Matt Dixon

Whilst doing some research I discovered the following story of a private in the Canadian Infantry who died at hospital near St Omer whilst being nursed by his mother who was the nursing sister at the hospital. His name was Richard Frank Bolton and he is buried in Longuenesse Souvenir Cemetery. His mother was nursing sister Margaret Eleanor Bolton.

Has anyone else come across any occasions like this?

Hello Matt

No, but this is a small but interesting personal story. One would wonder about the conflict of interests versus a mother's need to be near her son. I cannot imagine the stress on the mother-nurse.

Borden Battery

It must have been awful....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My Great Uncle Gordon Harry HOTSTON was gassed in France and returned home. His family lived in Caledonian Road, Chichester so I have no idea if he was sent to Graylingwell, which was at the time a Military Hospital, by luck or design. Anyway his youngest sister Annie was a nurse at the hospital. He was allowed home on condition she nursed him. When I met her about 15 years ago she told me she knew he would die as gassing cases rarely survived, especially if they were badly injured. I was told at the time she was senile (she was getting on for 90 at the time) but several points of her story bear up. Graylingwell was a Militry Hospital and Gordon is buried in Chichester Cemetery.

Would wounded returned soldiers automatically be sent to a hospital near their home or was it just luck? Was she correct in that not many soldiers survived gassing?

Thank you

Jacky

HOTSTON, GORDON HARRY

Initials: G H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Sussex Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/12/1917

Service No: T/240745

Additional information: Son of Edward and Jane Hotston, of 3, Caledonian Rd., Chichester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 121. 26.

Cemetery: CHICHESTER CEMETERY

Would wounded returned soldiers automatically be sent to a hospital near their home or was it just luck?

John (Jack) Bonner 41385 Pte 2/5 Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regt died of wounds in hospital in Bristol on 28/02/1919, His parents had travelled from Hatfield in South Yorkshire to be by his bedside and were with him when he died. I believe he was wounded in October 1918 and underwent 3 operations for head wounds. So in his case it was probably dangerous to move him.

To add to his parents grief, his body was lost on the railways back to Hatfield and he wasn't buried until a week later.

Mick

Hi Mick

That sounds terrible. I can guess how the railway people discovered the corpse in the end. So it would appear the authorities tried to show a little humanity!!!!!

Your reply took 13 minutes - that must be a record.

Thank you

Jacky

a record...no way :lol: SDGW and CWGC searches are real races!

Mick