Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli evacuation

DaveR

The service records of a chap I'm researching says he disembarked Alexandria 10/1/16 from what looks like 'Yarsova' (the record is difficult to read). Does anyone recognize the ship's name?

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

Could it possibly read 'Orsova'. The A67 'Orsova' was on the run transporting troops from Australia to Egypt. I found it departed Australia 12th November 1915 & again on the 11th March 1916, and can't find anything in between. I haven't been able to find anything to show if it took part in the evacuation, but haven't been able to rule out the possibility of it being in the area at the time either.

I don't suppose it's an Aussie soldier you're researching is it?

Cheers, Frev

Dave,

It could well be the Varsova.

The Varsova carried 28th Division to Salonika in late 1915. The son of one of the troops on that voyage went on to serve as an officer on the Vasova in WW2.

Many thanks to you both. I'll have a look at both options.

thanks

Dave

The last troops were evacuated from the Helles area of Gallipoli around the 9th January 1916, so arriving in Alexandria on the 10th is quite feasible.

I'd be tipping it was the 'Varsova' since it would be unlikely the 'Orsova' would be making 4 trips to and from Australia, leaving Australia in November and March AND be involved in the evacuation inbetween.

Tim L.