Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 Bttn, Royal Scots Fusiliers Feb 1915

Jonathan Saunders

I am looking into a February 1915 fatality – L/9950 Pte Albert Cheeseman of the 1st Bttn, Royal Scots Fusiliers.

I was hoping if there are any RSF enthusiasts out there that they could give an approximate date for Cheeseman's enlistment from the service number and any details relating to the 1/RSF during January and February 1915. I believe on the day of his death the battalion had been working on fatigues (repairing/improving trenches) in the line at Rosenthale. I think this is near Messines – can anyone confirm?

Cheeseman is a well known Kent name and there appears to be no logical reason why he would have enlisted in the RSF - were they known to recruit in, say, London?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jon S

January-Lindenhoek area resting at Westoutre and Locre, also held reserve trenches at Kemmel between 16th and 20th.

Moved to Ypres February 17th and began tours in trenches near the canal south of the town.

Also located in support at Lankoth Chateau and Bedford House and rested at Ypres, Kruisstraat and Ouderdom when out of the line.

Info from British Battalions 1915 by Westlake.

Bob.

My great Uncle was living in London and a Territorial Corporal with the London Scottish. He volunteered to serve overseas and was given a commission, as a Captain no less, with the 7th batt RSF which was in a training camp not far from London, They must have been desperate!

My point is that there are lots of Scots in London and recruiting was wherever the potential recruits might be.

Regds