Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital ship visual atrocity propaganda

John Gilinsky

Can anyone please advise us of specific references to printed or published visual atrocity propaganda whose subject matter deals with the Red Cross at sea and specifically hospital ships?

I have processed the war years for the Illustrated London News (ILN), the Sphere and the Graphic but I know that there were many regularly published illustrated papers besides these as well as many comic papers such as the BYSTANDER from London that did publish such cartoons or illustrations.

Thanks,

John

:)

• 2 weeks later...

The foremost cartoonist of this sort of stuff was Louis Raemaekers. Lots of compilations of his work published; the copy I have is The Caxton Edition of Raemaekers' Cartoons n.d. but presumably contemporary.

The foremost cartoonist of this sort of stuff was Louis Raemaekers. Lots of compilations of his work published; the copy I have is The Caxton Edition of Raemaekers' Cartoons n.d. but presumably contemporary.

Thank you Paul. I do have acces to various editions of the collected cartoons of Raemaekers but he rarely actually did do the hospital ship stuff. There might be one or two at most. The daily press editorial cartoons and the specialized cartoon journals have much more.

Tx,

John