Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

52nd. Lowland Division 1914-1918

bydand

• 3 years later...

hi neil, new member and not up to speed on forum operation. i am tring to find out the exact location of the sap leading to hill 12a at the battle of gully ravine, june 28 1915, as my fafather was shot there, but managed to survive . i have tried to post a message to barrieduncan, who seems to be very knowledgeable, about the cameronians, but i am getting blocked i cant understand why.i could be doing something wrong, my father was with the 1/8th scottish rifles,his name was neil casey reg. number 200 i have his sevice record, but in june 1916 he was transferred to 156th coy of the mcg 52nd div. at kantara in egypt,do you knoe of any photoa of 11/8th scottish rifles or 156th coy mgc . i hope you can point me in the right direction. yours... calton

I hope that Neil does not mind my chipping in here, but until he gets along

may I recommend the book by Stephen Chambers in the Battleground Europe series, by publishers Pen & Sword in 2003

called 'Gallipoli - Gully Ravine'; IBSN 0 85052 923 9. As the title suggests, Steve's book will give you a lot of details on the subject.

The ref to 'Hill 12a' may be mistaken; the 1/8th The Cameronians took part in an attack that day on Trenches H12 and H12A. Ray Westlake in his book 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' writes "Nos. 1 and 3 Companies advanced followed by No.2 Company 11a.m. Colonel Findlay records - 'Five minutes after they had started they were practically wiped out.' Few men reached the enemy's line, those who did were either killed or wounded. No.4 Company in support also suffered heavily while moving towards firing line......casualties 14 officers and 334 other ranks killed, missing or mortally wounded; 11 officers, 114 other ranks wounded. Strength of Battalion on morning of 29th - Captain A. B. Sloan, Lieutenants E. Maclay, H. Bowen and 70 other ranks. Later formed composite battalion with 1/7th Scottish Rifles."

Best of luck with your research

Michael

• 5 months later...

1/7th Battalion Scottish Rifles would be good, especially my Great Uncle whose details should appear at the bottom of this post. Thanks