Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

map refs. around Locre

hannah

I'm trying to piece together the movements of the Lincolnshire Territorials - 2/5th and 4th - on and after 14th April 1918. The key to it is map references in the war diaries but I can't understand them.

They are things like M.17.c.2.2 and A.30 and D.18.b.2.7.

Can anyone suggest please where I might be able to get a map which shows such details or anywhere I can find out more.

Hannah - there is a decent explanation in the following section of the WFA site >

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/tre...enchmapshop.htm

If the WFA dont have the maps you need, or they have the right maps but not a for dates close to the ones you are interested in, then the most comprehensive source is the PRO. Regards - Tom

This link also gives info: click here

M.17.c.2.2 is part of Sheet 28, and is a position just west of the main Locre-Ypres road, just north of Locre and very close to the road to Westoutre.

I have this map on the wall next to my PC, which is why I can tell you this; the other refs are from the neighbouring sheet. I will check the trench map CD and come back to you.

The point M.17.c.2.2 seems to be a trench, not a camp.

Have these movements of the Lincolnshire Territorials something to do with the Spring Offensive of the Germans ((1918), keeping in mind the given date and also the position, not far from Kemmel {the battle(s) of Kemmel} and the Scherpenberg {the battle of the Scherpenberg}. It seems to be on the 'edge' of the German Spring Offensive.

Gilbert Deraedt ;)