Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Name your baby

Kate Wills

To add to Michael's advice on initials and with the experience of a dyslexic son, I'd go for a short name that is easy to spell! My son, Valdemar, really wishes he's been called Tom, Jon or something short.

Mind you, it's also my experience that WHATEVER you name your baby, there's going to be someone in the family that thinks it's the most awful name in the world and does not hesitate to tell you.

Good luck to you both,

Christina Holstein.

Hello Everyone

My wife has just returned from the midwife and apparantly she is 3/5s engaged and therefore just about ready to go.

I now wish that when we had our first daughter we hadn't been so expansive with the names. This one is number four and names are more and more difficult to choose. My girls are, in descending order:

Danielle Jessie Finlayson Riding

Georgette Esther Gillies Riding

Justine Ellen Whittaker Riding

After much deliberation the latest will be Sophia Rose Daughtery Riding, hope she likes it. If I have a son I think i'll call him Bob, saves a lot of bother.

Andy

Andy -

Good luck to you both. I hope you'll let us know the outcome in due course. you've chosen really pretty names for a new daughter but if it's a boy, it will have to be Chris after our glorious founder!

Christina Holstein.

you both. I hope you'll let us know the outcome in due course. you've chosen really pretty names for a new daughter

Thanks Christina

One of my many flaws is that I have no patience :rolleyes: and hate surprises consequently we found out the sex of this baby and it is definately a girl.

Andy

Regarding boys names there seems to be many named after historical events or military figures.

Christian names can set down time ,I remember a couple of Verduns and Kitcheners both born in 1916.Another character I remember was named Montgomery who was born as Monty mounted up his victories.Winston must have been a more popular name.

My Grandmother named one of her sons, Redvers.

A friend at school had a second name Stalin bestowed on him at the request of his grandfather.

I know of a RAF aircrew member who was christened European H. W. in memory of his father who was killed in the Great War a few months after he was born in 1915. European nearly lost his life in the Battle for France in 1940.

Regarding girls names,Germania has been used before,reflecting an era in history but not on this side of the channel.

Max, A girl, Sophia Rose, a beautiful name as a few others, say Georgia Rose.We have both.

Can't choose a name! My Grandmother could not choose a name for her youngest daughter.My Grandparents had a small herd of cows, all with girls names. Two were called Rose and Mary.When the baby was born my Grandmother's eldest boys said, call the baby Rosemary,my Grandmother did.

Regards

Frank East

Funny I hadn't thought of it earlier but I have a great uncle born in 1919 who is called Douglas Haig :o Senior. I think that this must be a coincidence as HAig is a fairly common surname in the part of West Yorkshire that he comes from and it may be a family name used as a middle name.

Andy

No suggestions, just some advice based on personal experience;

i.e., will my son ever forgive me for landing him with forenames whose initials spell ANT

so Mr & Mrs O'B, try to avoid names commencing with letters like 'S' or 'N' etc.

With very best wishes for All the O'Briens

Michael D.R.

Michael....I know exactly where you're coming from on this one.......I wasn't nicknamed WILLY WOB JOB at school for nothing you know B)

How about Rosemary.

Rosemary for remembrance. Rosie O'Brien has a nice ring to it?

This is the funniest thread yet! You guys are SICK! :D In all sincerity, I vote for Edith, followed by Lucy (I named MY cat that), followed by--sorry--Edwina (since there's no feminine form of Edmund, which I favor).

All the best of luck for a rapid, painless, drug-hazed new arrival--and if there were ever a time to ignore your Pals, this is it!

:D

Roberta

Edwina (since there's no feminine form of Edmund, which I favor).

I take it Roberta, that this idea springs from Edmund Allenby F.M.

and not Edwina Mountbatten

or, heaven forbid, Edwina C. [she who carries a light for one J. Major]

Actually Mr & Mrs O'B, in the school play yard your son could do a lot worse than being called 'Bull' O'Brien

It might keep the toughs at bay!

Regards

Michael D.R.

i dont know BULL sounds like a good name . there is a bloke in my reenactment group called bulldog and hes hard a nails.

plus with bull his intials will be BOB

How about Rosemary.

Rosemary for remembrance. Rosie O'Brien has a nice ring to it?

Heritage

Unfortunately my parents own a rather scraggy, ill tempered cat that has the habit of breaking wind all over you called Rosie.

I would see the baby.............but would be thinking of the cat :(