Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card for Lt James Stuart D'auvergne Innes MC*

Guest doug61

JSD_Innes_Medal_Card.docJSD_Innes_Medal_Card.docHi all, I am now going round in circles and would really appreciate a bit of help.

I have managed to get some info from the MIC but could do with a bit more.

Lt James Stuart D'auvergne Innes MC and Bar (my Great Great Uncle).

Arrived in France 11th July 1915 Killed in Action 8th August 1917 ( 2 months before his daughter was born leaving 1 son of 2 years old(still alive).

Officer in 189th Brigade Royal Field Artillery.

Please could somebody give me an idea as to what the other number codes mean.

NB I have requested his service record from the national archive but, for the life of me cannot find him in the London Gazette.

The References by the name of the Medal are the Roll page References,the other references are to do most probably with the issue of the Medals {dated 1922} & are more than likely internal correspondence within the Medal Office,& of little consequence with regard to your research even if they were available.The Medal Roll pages might be useful & possibly add a snippet to your research{remember the MiCs were only intended for AMO reference regarding the confirmation & issue of awards}but unlikely to add much more than you have @ present,His Papers however should,if they survive,fill in most if not all the gaps!

Names with apostrophes in are very difficult to find in the Gazette.

However, here is his Military Cross :

Announcement:

London Gazette 24-6-1916

Temp. 2nd Lt. James Stuart d'Auvergne Innes, 34th By. [34th Battery], R.F.A.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

And citation:

LG 27-7-1916

Temp. 2nd Lt. James Stuart d'Auvergne Innes, 34th Bty., R.F.A.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when his battery was being heavily shelled. A shell blew in a dug-out. 2nd Lt. Innes collected his men and dug out wounded men. Later, when his battery came under fire when changing position, he showed great coolness in handling his guns.

Steve.

And Bar:

LG 25-8-1916

T. /Lt. James Stuart d'Auvergne Innes, M.C., R.F.A.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in extinguishing a fire in his battery under very heavy shell fire, thereby saving a gun from destruction. Afterwards, during the removal of his battery, when the guns had been run out of the pits, he ran a gun back with the help of two telephonists, and opened fire in response to the S.O.S. signal.

(M.C. gazetted 27th July, 1916.)

I would count back two months to estimate the time when the medals were won. The War Diary for the unit would probably specify a date or at least narrow it down.

34th Battery was part of 38th Brigade R.F.A. with 6th Division until February 1916 when the battery moved to the 47th (London) Division.

189th Brigade was attached to 41st Division until 8th January 1917 when it became an Army Brigade.

Presumably, he was transferred between these units at some point during late 1916/early 1917.

Judging by the ranks shown on his M.C. and then his Bar, he must have been promoted in mid-1916.

Steve.

The Times of 15-8-1917 recorded:

Killed in Action

INNES - Killed in action on 5th Aug., 1917, Lt. J. S. D'A. Innes, M.C., R.F.A., youngest and dearly loved son of Mr and Mrs C. E. S. Innes, of 5 Bingham-road, Addiscombe, Croydon, age 30, grandson of General J. C. Innes, Bengal Army, and beloved husband of Ruby, his wife of 20 Grasmere-road, S. Norwood. Deeply mourned.

Steve.

Thank you both for your time and extremely quick responses with special thanks to you steve, The two kinds of knowledge quotation couldn't be more true as I've recently found out.