Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding some British Soldiers in Palestine 1917

Guest Bill Woerlee

Guest Bill Woerlee

Mates

On reading evidence presented to a Court of Enquiry held at Khan Yunis 1917, the following men from these British units received mention for bravery.

2602 Tpr Tinbill RGHY, [could also be Timbill or even more likely - Timbrell - this information was given by a French officer so it is more than likely corrupted. Those Frogs - sheesh.]

433066 Private L Walker RAMC, 1st South Midlands Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance

47012 Private M Pickford, 18th Machine Gun Section, and,

Captain GT Torrance, 5th Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance.

I am wondering if anyone has any information about these four men.

Since I have no idea as to what "RGHY" stands for in Britarmyspeak, perhaps someone could translate the acronym. I can only get "Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry".

Thanks

Bill

Mate,

Capt GT Torrance is harder to find but there are a number of posibles;

Capt Guy Melchoir Torrence RAMC

Capt WT Torrance Sth Midland FA RAMC

Cheers

S.B

Guest Bill Woerlee

Steve x 2

Thanks for that mates

Steve #1 - 2602 Private Charles Timbrell, Royal Hussars Gloucestershire Yeomanry. I see that there are 4 men who are potential candidates for the Charles Timbrell in the story. Charles Timbrell seems to be common for the Gloucestershire area. Here are the 4 fellows and their ages in 1917.

Charles Timbrell, 24, Part Of Hawling, Gloucestershire

Charles Timbrell, 26, Alkington, Gloucester

Charles Timbrell, 28, South Cerney, Gloucestershire

Charles Timbrell, 32, Fairford, Gloucestershire

This is the part I am finding rather difficult.

Steve #2 - Captain William T Torrance, South Midland Brigade Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps, 34, originally from Montreal in Canada was resident at St Giles in Berkshire. I believe there was a limerick about the crypt of St Giles and the Bishop having piles. However, I think this seems like the fellow. The unit is the same as Walker which was later designated as the 5th Mounted Brigade as part of the IMD and then the AMD which included the 3rd and 4th ALH Bdes.

This has cleared the effluvia out of the mind.

Cheers

Bill