Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

44th Training Reserve Battalion DCLI

chris champion

Hi TM,

Just looking through the book Kitcheners Army author Ray Westlake,I can see the 44th training reserve was part of 11th Devonshires 2nd Reserve from original 33rd Battalion,is that any help to you.

Joan

To be more specific about the info I gave in another thread relating to the 44th TRB, it was "at Warminster" from February to October 1917, then it moved to Tidworth; I do not have a date for its departure from there. "At Warminster" indicates one of the camps in the nearby villages: Longbridge Deverill (which was a bit of a mouthful so the camp was known as Sand Hill) or Sutton Veny - or just possibly Codford or Heytesbury. "Tidworth" suggests the barracks there, though again there were outlying camps, Perham Down (hutted) and Windmill Hill (camping-site, never built on, and unlikely to be used in October). Regimental histories and soldiers' letters and memoirs can be imprecise as to a unit's location (eg "at Salisbury" could mean a camp 10 or 12 miles away).

To be more specific about the info I gave in another thread relating to the 44th TRB, it was "at Warminster" from February to October 1917, then it moved to Tidworth; I do not have a date for its departure from there. "At Warminster" indicates one of the camps in the nearby villages: Longbridge Deverill (which was a bit of a mouthful so the camp was known as Sand Hill) or Sutton Veny - or just possibly Codford or Heytesbury. "Tidworth" suggests the barracks there, though again there were outlying camps, Perham Down (hutted) and Windmill Hill (camping-site, never built on, and unlikely to be used in October). Regimental histories and soldiers' letters and memoirs can be imprecise as to a unit's location (eg "at Salisbury" could mean a camp 10 or 12 miles away).

Dear M,

Many thanks for responding the info you have supplied is very interesting and certainly helps towards painting a picture of his whereabouts during the War. I have a letter written to my Grandfather by his mother thanking him for visiting relatives in Warminster and saying how sorry she was to hear that he was having to do night marches.

Kindest Regards

Chris

11th(Service)Bn, Devonshire Regt formed Exeter November 1914 in original 100th Bde/33rd Div.

December 1914 billetted in Torquay.

10/4/15 became 11th(Reserve)Bn, Devonshire Regt(a 2nd reserve Bn, duplicating the role of the 3rd(Reserve)Bn,Devons).

May 1915 to Wareham, Dorset in 10th(Reserve)Bde.

1/9/1916 became 44th Training Reserve Bn in 10th(Res)Bde.

Disbanded 30/11/1917.

This battalion had no connection with the D.C.L.I., but the 9th(Reserve)Bn,D.C.L.I. was absorbed by the Training Reserve Bns of the 10th(Reserve)Bde at Wareham on 1/9/1916.

Graham.

11th(Service)Bn, Devonshire Regt formed Exeter November 1914 in original 100th Bde/33rd Div.

December 1914 billetted in Torquay.

10/4/15 became 11th(Reserve)Bn, Devonshire Regt(a 2nd reserve Bn, duplicating the role of the 3rd(Reserve)Bn,Devons).

May 1915 to Wareham, Dorset in 10th(Reserve)Bde.

1/9/1916 became 44th Training Reserve Bn in 10th(Res)Bde.

Disbanded 30/11/1917.

This battalion had no connection with the D.C.L.I., but the 9th(Reserve)Bn,D.C.L.I. was absorbed by the Training Reserve Bns of the 10th(Reserve)Bde at Wareham on 1/9/1916.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for replying. The information you have provided is very interesting, but still leaves me confused when I compare this to a copy of my Grandfathers demob papers.

On the document it states:

Unit and Regiment or Corps from which Transferred to Reserve - Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry

Enlisted 4 Dec 1916 for - 44th Training Reserve Battalion

Also served in - Labour Corps

Can you offer any further advice which might make things a bit clearer? Should my focus be the 10th Reserve Bde?

Kindest Regards

TM

TM,

It look's as though you have his Discharge Certificate and from the details you have just given, he has been called up for the 44th Training Reserve Battalion 4/12/1916. From there he has been transferred to the Labour Corps and then transferred again from the Labour Corps to the DCLI from whom he has been transferred to the Reserve. Look for his regimental number on the certificate and then check the on-line Medal Index Cards, which may give his Labour Corps number if served overseas with them.

Graham.

TM,

It look's as though you have his Discharge Certificate and from the details you have just given, he has been called up for the 44th Training Reserve Battalion 4/12/1916. From there he has been transferred to the Labour Corps and then transferred again from the Labour Corps to the DCLI from whom he has been transferred to the Reserve. Look for his regimental number on the certificate and then check the on-line Medal Index Cards, which may give his Labour Corps number if served overseas with them.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks once again for your reply.

The Medal Index Card only mentions my Grandfathers regimental number 38122 and the reference to the DCLI Medal Roll Index for Individuals entitled to the VM and/or BWM, which has no information against his entry other than the initials OEB which has been hand wriiten against every entry on that page.

There is an entry in the DCLI Attestation Book held at the Bodmin Museum dated 1 Dec 1917 stating 'Transferred from 643rd H.S. Emp Coy to Depot'. Which I am informed could stand for either;

Hold Strength Employment Company, common term used in the Army when troops are not employed with a regiment. Source: Curator, DCLI Museum, Bodmin.

or

Home Service Employment Company, units which served only in the UK and often held soldiers who were recuperating from wounds or sickness but were fit enough to carry out some 'light dutues' (walking wounded). Source: Curator, The Keep Military Museum, Dorchester.

While I feel some what frustrated, I have nevertheless progressed considerably in trying to piece together his movements from the day he enlisted thanks to you and everybody who has contributed on the forum.

Are there any records for the Training Reserve Bns especially the 10th(Reserve)Bde?

I am going to the NA on Monday, 11 Dec to follow-up on an entry I found on my last visit showing my Grandfather joining the 1st DCLI in the front line on 4 Jul 1918.

Do you know of any other documents which might be able to assist me at the NA?

Kindest Regards

TM