Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translating MIC Please

mysticalmac

Hi Allan

Pte Benjamin MacLeod, 3rd battalion, Seaforth Highlanders

He seems to have had two numbers: S/10940 and 33907. That is not unusual as numbers were re-organised, even when the man was not transferred to another unit. The mystery is that it seems to be saying he enlisted on 29 Oct 1917, and was discharged on the 15 Nov 1917. That’s only 17 days! Maybe one or the other is a typo.

He was discharged as ‘Sick’ under Army Order 265 (of) 1917 Paragraph 2(B). If you do a search of the Forum for either ‘2(B)’ or ‘AO 265’ you might find more details.

Regarding the two medals, it seems he was allocated them on the Roll given within the stamped area – G/103 ??, Page 690. These were then taken off him – List G 73/1. But were reinstated on List G/108/1 after ‘Form C’ was sent on 6 Nov 1917.

I do not know what ‘39280? R?’ means in the top right.

You will need to visit Kew and see if (a) his papers survive in WO 363, and (B) look at the Rolls mentioned above, as often other information is given.

I would also suggest you look at http://www.1914-1918.net/ to find where the 3rd Battalion of the Seaforths where in 1917, as well as general background information about researching a soldier. And it may help to post another request in the section dealing with Units to see if anyone can tell you when his regimental numbers were issued.

Pete

Silver war badge list ?

Without wishing to cause offence but there is nothing on the MIC to indicate that his medals were taken from him and then reinstated.

List G73/1 and List G/108/1 both relate to the award of the Silver War Badge. I'm guessing that he was originally entered on one list, perhaps failed to meet the required criteria, and was subsequently removed from that list. Resubmittal of Form C may have been sufficient for him to prove that he met the criteria, got him reinstated and his SWB awarded, checking these references at NA, Kew will prove this.

Although unclear I believe '39280 R' is '392 XVI KR' (No longer fit for service, according to Paragraph 392 of King's Regulations). I say believe because the V looks a bit rounded but I can't think what else it could be.

3rd Battalion Seaforths were in Scotland in 1917, indeed they spent the war there, being as they were a Reserve Battalion. The battalion listed on the MIC was that from which he was discharged.

Checking the Medal Roll references at NA, Kew should tell you which battalions he served overseas with.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi Steve

thanks for that but he was definately at the Somme and was shot and bayoneted through the lung which he had removed he was taken to the Rouen hospital from there he was put aboard the Gloucester Castle which was torpedoed in Seine Bay and somehow ended up in a hospital in Belfast where he spent a considerable amount of time meanwhile my gran was told he was missing presumed dead the he walked in not long after that, this why i was confused about the MIC card and the dates.

Allan

Hi All

When it says "1 medal card of many for this collection" does that mean this man had more cards if so how can i get them????

Allan

I reckon the card contains a mistake. The two "facts" that it contains are just not compatible. If we believe the enlistment/discharge dates he had a total of 17 days service, yet he earned the British War and Victory medals!! I don't think so. I speculate that he had already been in the army and come out of it before he was compulsorily re-enlisted under the Military Service Act. Maybe a time-expired Territorial or regular soldier.

3rd Battalion was the regimental depot, not an overseas active service unit.

The two references to the Silver War Badge Lists just tell us that his name was originally entered on G/731 and later erased and re-entered on G/108/1.

Have you checked to see if there is another card for him? I have a supicion there might be.

By the way his entry on medal roll G/103 B13 page 690 will confirm his battalion while overseas, which on my speculative theory would have been in his first term of service.

Hi Chris

Thanks for the quick reply but everytime i do a search i can only come up with one card online,

but on the card there is 2 Reg numbers 1 is S/10940 and the other is 33907 this is the first time i have done any research of this kind and i am running around like a headless chicken.

Allan

I reckon the card contains a mistake. The two "facts" that it contains are just not compatible. If we believe the enlistment/discharge dates he had a total of 17 days service, yet he earned the British War and Victory medals!! I don't think so. I speculate that he had already been in the army and come out of it before he was compulsorily re-enlisted under the Military Service Act. Maybe a time-expired Territorial or regular soldier.

3rd Battalion was the regimental depot, not an overseas active service unit.

The two references to the Silver War Badge Lists just tell us that his name was originally entered on G/731 and later erased and re-entered on G/108/1.

Have you checked to see if there is another card for him? I have a supicion there might be.

By the way his entry on medal roll G/103 B13 page 690 will confirm his battalion while overseas, which on my speculative theory would have been in his first term of service.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi can anyone explain why on this medal card Above there is Star been awarded is it possible there is another MIC

Allan

Hi can anyone explain why on this medal card Above there is Star been awarded is it possible there is another MIC

Allan

Hello Allan

A Star has not been awarded on this card as there is no roll reference given. He may have another MIC with a Star entitlement though.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply but when i search for MIC cards online at the NA it always comes up with the same one and does not say there is any more.

Allan

Hello Allan

A Star has not been awarded on this card as there is no roll reference given. He may have another MIC with a Star entitlement though.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply but when i search for MIC cards online at the NA it always comes up with the same one and does not say there is any more.

Allan

That may just mean he didn't qualify for a Star.

Andy

Hi

If he was in the battle of Ypres and the battle of the Somme surely he would qualify for the star

is it not true you got the star automatically when you went into these battles.

Allan

That may just mean he didn't qualify for a Star.

Andy

Hi

If he was in the battle of Ypres and the battle of the Somme surely he would qualify for the star

is it not true you got the star automatically when you went into these battles.

Allan

Allan

The Somme battles lasted from July to November 1916 so taking part in these actions would not guarantee him a 1914-15 Star. Also there were at least 3 main battles in the environs of Ypres, 1st 1914, 2nd 1915 and 3rd 1917. Again, if he was involved in the 3rd Battle of Ypres this would not guarantee him a 1914-15 Star. This link will explain how a man did qualify. http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad6.htm#15

The only way to be certain about your mans service is to locate his service record at Kew. Unfortunately only about 25-30% survived a German bombing raid in 1940.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for that because i thought that if he fought any time in between those dates he would qualify for the Star

The trouble is the old buggar :D:D is giving me a real problem searching him down because he was in 2 regiments during the war but i dont know which order they came in as he was wounded in one reg was at home for 8 months and the re-enlisted in the other telling them he had never been in the army only to get wounded again, the only one i can find is the one above, i will eventually get to Kew but would like to pin him down first so as i know what to look for when i get there if that makes sense.

Regards

Allan

Allan

The Somme battles lasted from July to November 1916 so taking part in these actions would not guarantee him a 1914-15 Star. Also there were at least 3 main battles in the environs of Ypres, 1st 1914, 2nd 1915 and 3rd 1917. Again, if he was involved in the 3rd Battle of Ypres this would not guarantee him a 1914-15 Star. This link will explain how a man did qualify. http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad6.htm#15

The only way to be certain about your mans service is to locate his service record at Kew. Unfortunately only about 25-30% survived a German bombing raid in 1940.

Andy

PS

doy you know what the roll number is for the 1914/15 Star ????????

Allan

The roll and page number is ascertained from the code written in the boxes next to the star reference on the MIC.

Andy