Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWGC vs Roll of Honour Accuracy

Jarvis

Just wondering how accurate some of our sources are. I have just spent an hour or so going through the GWGC and comparing the local Roll of Honour (luckily I live in a smallmarket town). Out of 25 random attempts ( I choose the more unusual names to make life easier) at matches I have 5 definite hits, 8 possibles and 12 no founds. Of the definite 5 hits only one rank matches that listed in the Roll of Honour.

I will take the time to match the rest of the list and I can then do some footwork research as at least 2 of the hits are buried in the local cemetery. I'll try matching the names with other sources, especially DLI just to see what I can find. Why the differences between the CWGC and the Roll of Honour I don't know - but then again - what if the headstones don't match either ??? I'll wait for a dry day to put that to the test. Any other members come across such differences - and if so what did you do to resolve it ??

I'm hardly likely to contest either the CWGC or the local War Memorial, both are representative of something greater than my inquisitiveness. Odd though !

Perhaps I should research a lot more thoroughly before opening my mouth - there could always be valid reasons beyond my ken (and probably are).

I have also found evidence of soldiers who were KIA, born in the town and are not on the Roll of Honour.

Once again, perhaps my understanding of this is flawed - if a soldier moved away from the area before enlisting would he be on the Roll of Honour of the town he enlisted from ? More research for the in tray - unless some one has the answer(s).

if a soldier moved away from the area before enlisting would he be on the Roll of Honour of the town he enlisted from ? More research for the in tray - unless some one has the answer(s).

I guess it depends on the nature of the Roll. And what were the initial "qualificiations" for inclusion. And whether folk stuck to it. And whether folk just didnt bother to submit.

These are just guesses, of course. My town doesnt have a Roll of Honour.

John

Town Rolls of Honour are very variable and are often unreliable.

You will find many names spelt incorrectly or missing, duplicated etc. There were no general criteria for inclusion and many (most?) can be regarded as incomplete depending on who you believe should be included. Locals at the time had their own rules which varied from place to place.

Many have names of people who do not qualify for CWGC listing and war grave status.