Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How do you clean a medal?

peter__m

I have a memorial plaque and some medals for my great grandfather.

But there's a lot of green stuff!

How do I get that off without causing any damage?

I don't want them polished and sparkling. Any ideas or advice folks?

I'm trying to buy an original clasp for a 1914 star. Should I avoid the 'green' stuff or is it not a problem?

Thanks,

Peter

I have a memorial plaque and some medals for my great grandfather.

But there's a lot of green stuff!

How do I get that off without causing any damage?

I don't want them polished and sparkling. Any ideas or advice folks?

I'm trying to buy an original clasp for a 1914 star. Should I avoid the 'green' stuff or is it not a problem?

Thanks,

Peter

Well personly i do not clean the medals in my collection unless previously cleaned and have tarnished i like all of the grime built up over the years. gives them character.

They are for your grandad? are they a close relatives? are they for wear? if so then i would probably get the green stuff off.

Although i do think with my new medals purchase. should i clean them? they were a LT/COL and are framed. so were obiously loved and full of pride.

Donnie

Warm soapy water and a soft brush (An old Toothbrush is fine).

Then rinse and dry thoroughly.

That's all.

NEVER polish.

So it is possible to get the green stuff off?

Whether you may want to or not is another question I know...

Toothbrush will remove the worst of the Verdigris. ;)

What do you think Private 1643 should i clean my medals or not?

Victory Medal

British war medal 14-18

39-45 star

Africa Star

Defence medal

War medal with mentioned in despatches

and original MID cirtificate.

He started of as an ordinary seamen in ww1 and finished in 1955 as a LT/COL with the RAOC

Donnie

I think the verdigris (green stuff) is not good - can't remember what I was told but IRC it will eventually harm the metal. I seem to remember something about it "infecting" clean metal, but that could just be my DTs kicking in :)

An old toothbrush (or splash out for 10 in one of those £1 shops) will remove it. A soft duster is good but avoid polish, nasty abrasive stuff that spoils the patina.

I'm hoping the memorial plaque isn't damaged.

It has been lost in a drawer for a long time.

Should I be expecting all the green to come off or will rubbing too hard not be good?

Guest KevinEndon

Best way to clean verdigrease is to soak in vinegar for a night, wash it off with warm soapy water and give it a light spray of wd40 so the verdigrease doesnt come back.

The cleaning of medals is up to you, polish them with silvo and brasso if you want, wash with soapy water if you want. Leave them witht he tarnish on if you want. The choice is all yours.

Kevin

I've been collecting medals for over 17 years and heard far too much 'rubbish' about cleaning medals that I'm sick of the arguements still going around.

Dirt is NOT good for a medal. Dirt is NOT good for anything you wish to preserve! How many antiques collectors leave furniture dirty or an oil painting grubby? Even coin collectors clean coins and coins have far finer detail than medals. Its called restoration.

Its personal choice, if you like toning on your medals great but if you don't there is nothing wrong with cleaning them - provided that you do it correctly!!!

Should you decide to clean a silver medal use Goddard's Silver Dip. Follow the instructions carefully and then wash in warm soapy water and rinse with cool water. Allow to air dry. The same can be used on bronze medals but these will go dull fairly quickly but if you get rid of the dirt all is good. Dull and dirt IS different!

If dirt is stubborn use a brush with natural bristles such as horsehair during the dipping process and NOT a nylon one which can scratch.

Only clean DO NOT polish.

Use the dip mentioned above NOT an abraisive.

As for the MEMORIAL PLAQUE just wash gently with war soapy water and a horsehair brush to remove the green stuff, rinse in cool water and allow to air dry. Unlike the medals the plaque was supposed to be a brown colur and you do not want to remove this.

Hope this helps!

Mark :)

P.S. I await the onslaught of those who disagree <_<

Best way to clean verdigrease is to soak in vinegar for a night, wash it off with warm soapy water and give it a light spray of wd40 so the verdigrease doesnt come back.

The cleaning of medals is up to you, polish them with silvo and brasso if you want, wash with soapy water if you want. Leave them witht he tarnish on if you want. The choice is all yours.

Kevin

OH MY GOD! How many medal collectors will wince at this?!?!?!

Vinegar, WD40 and Silvo or Brasso is VERY BAD for your medals!

Within the issue boxes for the new Iraq Medal and Operational Service Medal it even has a sticker saying 'DO NOT CLEAN WITH BRASSO'.

This will ruin your medals!!!

Vinegar is acidic and will do your medal no good whatsoever.

PLEASE read my post above and use a NON-ABRAISIVE to remove dirt and ensure you wash the dip off with warm soapy water and a cool rinse.

Mark :o

Within the issue boxes for the new Iraq Medal and Operational Service Medal it even has a sticker saying 'DO NOT CLEAN WITH BRASSO'.

PLEASE read my post above and use a NON-ABRAISIVE to remove dirt and ensure you wash the dip off with warm soapy water and a cool rinse.

Mark I want you to sit down, keep breathing and then have yourself a drink. I will not do anything to my medals without clearing it with you and the wise guys here at the forum. I appreciate this great advice you're giving me because I don't know a lot about this.

...use Goddard's Silver Dip. The same can be used on bronze medals but these will go dull fairly quickly...

Some time ago I worked in a jewellers and we used silver dip a lot.

Why I mention this is in reference to dulling - some silverware is lacquered and silver dip removes that, this makes the silver tarnish more quickly so appears dull sometime after dipping.

Is it possible/likely bronze medals are lacquered too which would explain why they go dull afterwards.

Goddard's also do Jewellery Dip for non-silver stuff, what the difference may be I don't know but it doesn't smell of sulphur like the Silver Dip.

British issue bronze medals such as the 1914 or 1915-15 Star are not coated at all when issued so shouldn't be a problem - some foreign medals however may be a differen story but we are talking about British medals here so we are safe. Silver medals are not coated either.

I have used Goddard's Silver dip for over 10 years and medals i cleaned 10 years ago still look pretty good a decade on. In fact once cleaned properly your shouldn't need to re-clean them again in the lifetime within your collection.

Anyway I agree its important to clean the dip off afterwards as it can smell a bit and wouldn't be good to the medal if left behind. As long as you clean in warm soapy water then rinse properly you will be fine.

Below is a photo of a WW1 MM group cleaned with the dip:

post-15616-1164759219.jpg

So I'm going to clean these...

Mons Star

British War Medal

Victory Medal

Memorial Plaque

All the same instructions?

Thanks e-buffers (that's a joke, there'll be no buffing, I've learned that much already)

Peter,

I would not recommend cleaning the Death Plaque other than with soap and water, they were not meant to be polished with any kind of abrasive cleaning agent. A way to enhance a grubby death plaque is to lightly cover with brown shoe polish then lightly wipe off the excess. This does not remove the bronze patina but does revive the plaque. It also works on officers bronze insignia. I am not sure what effect silver dip has on the brass victory medal, maybe Mark can expand as his MM group looks very nice.

regards

Mark

So I'm going to clean these...

Mons Star

British War Medal

Victory Medal

Memorial Plaque

All the same instructions?

Thanks e-buffers (that's a joke, there'll be no buffing, I've learned that much already)

Mark,

Re Iraq medals, in principle I agree but I have seen them come out of the box a dirty brown colour that even silver dip does not remove and therefore using silvo cleaner has been a last but necessary resort.. not good form to go on parade with 'dirty' medals!

regards

Mark

As said Dont use nylon toothbrushes they scratch siver. As for ribbons to not let water anywhere near them the colour on the original silks with run.!!!!.

Mark,

Re Iraq medals, in principle I agree but I have seen them come out of the box a dirty brown colour that even silver dip does not remove and therefore using silvo cleaner has been a last but necessary resort.. not good form to go on parade with 'dirty' medals!

regards

Mark

Hi Mark

Some of the early Iraq Medals were faulty and gained a dirty brown colour very quickly. However many were issued before the problem was generally known. Later issues are generally speaking fine.

Silverdip wont work too well on Iraq Medals since they are made from cupro-nickle rather than silver. Normally cupro-nickle doesn't require cleaning since it doesn't tend to tarnish - modern silver coins in the UK are made from cupro-nickle and as you have probably noticed they stay silver and clean.

Dirty looking Iraq Medals are a new problem for medal collectors. The one in my collection is of a later strike so still looking great. Not sure what to advise but as a collector I would leave it as it was. However a soldier would probably use silvo before wearing it on parade.

Mark

What about the ribbons? Any cleaning reccomendations for these?

Ian

I'd leave the ribbons as they are. If you wash them the silk may rot. You could try turning them inside out if one side seems cleaner that the others.

You could also buy modern replacement ribbons if you want clean looking ribbons i.e. after cleaning the medals. If you do don't throw the old ones away, keep them safe as they are an original part of th medal.

Mark

Sorry for yet another post but I've just realised I missed a final question posted above.

Victry Medals are best cleaned using just warm soapy water and a soft horsehair brush. After a good wash rinse in cool water.

The same process should be fine for Memorial Plaques just don't scrub it too hard as you don't want the brown finish to wear off - that said it is not easy to to remove so don't worry too much.

OK quick recap:

Use Goddard's Silver Dip for the 1914-15 Star and War Medal. Be sure to wash thoroughly in warm soapy water and rinse to remove the dip afterwards.

Use warm soapy water for the Victory Medal and Memorial Plaque.

During either process use a natural bristle brush such as horsehair - i.e. the deluxe quality shoe brushes - this is to remove stubborn dirt but if you don't need to use it then don't.

Leave ribbons alone as they will rot or colours run. Try turning them inside out or buy new ones. Keep the original ribbons safe.

I hope this has helped claify a difficult subject.

Kind Regards

Mark :)

Mark and all clean as a whistle posters...

Thanks so much for all this great advice.

I really hadn't a clue to be honest.

Feeling safe now to do a wee clean up job.

One more question.

Are you sure?

:)