Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can 1915 star be the only entitlement?

ZimRich

Hi,

Just a quick question. Can a soldier only be entitled to a 1915 star?

I have an MIC that only shows an entry next to the star entitlement and nothing for the Victory or BWM.

The soldier was killed 25/09/1915 the first day of Loos and only entered France on 09/07/1915 so was only there for two months.

Thanks

Rich

post-12318-1164661977.jpg

Hello Rich

I think that this must be a case of a split MIC, in other words there is another card out there with the Victory and BWM entitlement.

Andy

I would think that this is his "split":

Medal card of Thomson, Duncan

Corps Regiment No Rank

Seaforth Highlanders S/3035 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=6

The usual slight mis-spellin error.

Steve.

I did read a story some time ago about nurses who were in france or belgium at the start of the war and escaped when the germans attacked and got back to England. they were awarded the mons star, at least that is how the story goes no mention of any other medal entitlements. The story does not say whether they went on to further service. So maybe 1 medal entitlement was possible. Sorry details are lacking It has been a while since I read it and can only recall the outline of the story. Maybe Pals know of it?

Daveo

Im pretty sure if you were awarded the star the others were obligatory, i dont see why the nurses would not have been entitled to the war and victory medals. I think the only time they were not awarded was due to forfeiture by desertion or cowardice. Im sure Harry B will have the definitive answer.

My thoughts exactly I was the story as it was written only mentioned the award of the Mons Star I would have thought that the other medals would have been awarded also.

Lets hope we find an answer :D