Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC: were they with the BEF during Mons campaign?

Psmith24

My wife's grandfather, Thomas Drewery, joined the RFC as a mechanic from the Grenadier Guards just before WW1. His medal card shows he won the Mons star, clasp and rosette. That presumably means he was with the BEF at the start of the war and came under fire doesn't it? Has anyone any details of where the RFC were in August, 1914? I assume they would have been providing much needed aerial recon.

Most certainly. Unfortunately, several of their reports of massive German troop concentrations in front of the BEF were dismissed because "conventional" intelligence did not support their accurate aerial observations.

My wife's grandfather, Thomas Drewery, joined the RFC as a mechanic from the Grenadier Guards just before WW1. His medal card shows he won the Mons star, clasp and rosette. That presumably means he was with the BEF at the start of the war and came under fire doesn't it? Has anyone any details of where the RFC were in August, 1914? I assume they would have been providing much needed aerial recon.

No's 2,3,4 and 5 Squadron flew from England to Amiens between 13th -15th August.According to the RFC/RNAS handbook,the RFC did not score it's first victory untill 25th August when a German Rumpler Taube aircraft was discovered taking photographs of British defences;it was forced down by three aircraft of 2 squadron

Joan

Peter;

Here's some info just supplied to me on this forum about the moves of 4sqn during Mons. My great-grandfather was an ASC driver attatched to 4sqn at this time, and his Military History Sheet states this attatchment, joining 4sqn's embarkation on 13/08/15, as 'joining Expeditionary Force'.

Anyway, here's info pertaining to 4 sqn- research posted by 'Dolphin'

"No 4 Sqn RFC was equipped with a variety of aircraft (BE 2, BE 2a, BE 2c, and Maurice Farman Shorthorn) when it went to France to carry out reconnaissance duties for the BEF on 13 August 1914. Initially based at Amiens, it moved around as the Retreat from Mons took place:

16 Aug to Maubeuge

24 Aug to Le Cateau

25 Aug to St-Quentin

26 Aug to La Fère

28 Aug to Compiégne

30 Aug to Senlis

31 Aug to Juilly

2 Sep to Serris

3 Sep to Touquin

4 Sep to Melun

7 Sep to Touquin

9 Sep to Coulommiers

12 Sep to Fère-en-Tardenois

6 Oct to Amiens

8 Oct to Abbeville

9 Oct to Moyenneville

12 Oct to St-Omer

21 April to Bailleul (Town Ground)."

As I say, this research was done by Dolphin, not me, so all credit to him!

Hope this is of use. Jon

The book 'A Contemptible Little Flying Corps' by McInnes & Webb traced all those non-commissioned men who joined the R.F.C. from it's formation until the declaration of War.

On page 377 there is the following entry:

1073. T. Drewery

Enlisted 21 November, 1908. Formerly 14082 Drummer 1/Grenadier Guards. Transferred to RFC 3 September, 1913. As 2AM with No.5 Squadron, awarded 1914 Star and bar for services in France from 14 August, 1914. Promoted but reverted back to 2AM (Driver MT) 16 August, 1917. Down graded further to 3AM (Driver) in April, 1918 RAF Munster Roll.

'came under fire doesn't it?'

No it means that he came within range of mobile artillery.

Have you looked for his RAF service record in AIR 79 (they are in service number order)? he will also have an entry in 'CONTEMPTIBLE LITTLE FLYING CORPS' (ISBN: 1843420538) by I.McInnes & J.V.Webb.

Wing Cdr. CG Jeffords MBE, 'RAF Squadrons,' (Airlife Publishing Ltd. Shrewsbury, 1988) gives the movements of the squadrons.

'The Mons Star: The British Expeditionary Force, 5th Aug.-22nd Nov. 1914' (various editions) by Ascoli, David has a copy of one of the early recon reports made before Mons.