Remembered Today:

1st and 2nd Royal Irish Rifles

Jimmy Taylor

Graham C P.M Me and i will send you relevent scans..Regards JIM

Hi Jim

:thumbsup: Big thank you - PM sent

Graham

Apologies Graham.

It looks like the ones I sent you yesterday didn't arrive. Foul up in the email system somewhere or went straight to the 'spam' folder?. You should have given me a nudge. I'd have resent them. :thumbsup:

DesmondWondering what the diary for 1st Btn says about the action at Knock October 1918. My grandfather was awarded DCM ( citation below) and im interested in what else I can find out about the action.

47168 Cpl. J. Chambers, 1st Bn., R. Ir. Rif. (Besbrook, Co. Armagh).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During the heavy fighting of 20th/23rd October, 1918, near Knock, he was in command of a Lewis-gun section, and showed great courage and initiative. His company being checked by enemy machinegun fire, he skilfully got his guns forward and drove the enemy from his posts and enabled the advance to continue. Later, when his Officer and senior non-commissioned officers had become casualties, he took command of his platoon and carried on successfully.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Hi I have just found this forum while searching for war diaries, I have a great great uncle Francis (Frank) Elliott who served with the 2nd Bat R.I.R. died 7 August 17, he fought at Battles of Messines and died at a casualty clearing station. I was wondering if there is any where I can find out more about him?  Also, his brother Joshua Elliot 13th Bat R.I.R. died 4 August 1917 kia.

Many thanks Glynis

Hi Glynis,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an expert but here is my contribution.....

I presume your gt/gt/uncle was Sjt. 3/8725 (CWGC) Frank Elliott. CdeG.......looking.....Pension Record card on Fold 3, soldier' effects widow Elizabeth sole legatee, soldiers' will  E/432647/1......MIC states correct surname ELLIOT, qualifying date 13.8.14., 2nd Batt. Medal award roll 2/8725 Brit/Vic.

Francis James Elliott b.1889 Craigavad, Co.Down., parents Joshua and Mary (McConnell) married Elizaeth Hazlett 13.7.1914 St.Paul's church, Belfast. 1 of 7 (?8) children. The eldest was William Robert, b.1881 d. 26.8.1914 2nd batt. Pte. 8252, Royal Iniskilling Fus. K in A. 1911 census was in China/Hong Kong with 1st batt.

Joshua Elliott L/Cpl 17602 R I R  b. 1887 d.4.8.1917.12113332_114289983792.jpg

10773413_112882318495.jpg

24736287_1473867809.jpg

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Yes,thanks very much that is my gt, gt, uncles. William Elliotts grave certificates has stated that he died on 7/9/14, and from all other sources it is dated 26/8/14.. why would this be?

I am also researching into the 2 other brothers, is there any way I could find out when Frank was actually wounded, the information I have is that in June 1917 he fought in the Battle of Messines and he died of wounds in a Casualty Clearing Station on 7th August 17

Thanks Glynis

doc2751585.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 23/12/2005 at 11:01, richy1968 said:

Hi - I would be interested in any mention of Captain John percy Whelan kia 11/12/1914 2nd Battalion

Many Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard, I'm JP Whelan's great grandson. I found this while researching my family tree. May I ask your interest? Best wishes, Jonathan Williams

On 11/05/2006 at 00:59, eltoro1960 said:

Captain John Percy Whelan, 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, was born in May 1879 and was at Loretto 1891-1898. He played in the XV and the XI. After leaving School he joined the 3rd Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, and from them was gazetted, in 1902, to the 4th Battalion Royal Garrison Regiment. On the disbandment of the Garrison Regiment he was transferred to the 2nd Royal Irish (now Royal Ulster) Rifles. In 1914 his Battalion was at Aden, and he was at home on sick leave. As soon as he was fit he joined the 2nd Battalion of his Regiment in Flanders, and was killed in the Ypres Salient on December 11th 1914

Will try and get the school photograph for you.

Hi, I'm JP Whelan's great grandson...currently researching...if you have any photos of him I would be eternally grateful. Many thanks, Jonathan Williams

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. richy hasn't visited the forum in 12 years, eltoro more recently. Now you have two posts, you can access private messages so you can contact them that way. If richy is still using the same email address, he should receive your message.

Michelle 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. richy hasn't visited the forum in 12 years, eltoro more recently. Now you have two posts, you can access private messages so you can contact them that way. If richy is still using the same email address, he should receive your message.

Michelle 

Many thanks Michelle. I'll get on it this morning, straight after my session with Family Historians Anonymous!

On 11/05/2006 at 08:07, eltoro1960 said:

Photograph of Capt John Percy Whelan

Hi, PJ Whelan was my great grandfather. If you have any photos available they would be deeply appreciated.

10 hours ago, museumtom said:

image.png.a6b2484dd146643eba355be436b0cfc1.png

image.png.edf525017c7e8526fcf19691c0cd0804.png

Thank-you so very much! To learn I had a relative lost in the Great War has been a very emotional surprise, and I'm suddenly fascinated...Many thanks and Happy New Year!

10 hours ago, museumtom said:

image.png.a6b2484dd146643eba355be436b0cfc1.png

image.png.edf525017c7e8526fcf19691c0cd0804.png

Happy to help Johnathan, happy new year!

image.png.b6b8150f11245c6ff70a753404f947b1.png

Bond of Sacrifice. Vol 1. Captain John Percy Whelan, Page who was killed in action on the 11th December, 1914, no details being procurable, was born in May, 1879, the son of Mr Joseph Whelan, Barna, Belfast. He was educated at Loretto College, near Edinburgh, and obtained a commission in the Royal Garrison Regiment (raised during the Boer War) from the Militia in August, 1902, being promoted Lieutenant in March, 1903. On its disbandment he was transferred as Lieutenant in July, 1905, to the Royal Irish Rifles, in which he obtained his Company in March, 1910. For over two years, from Marrch, 1910, to November, 1912, he was Adjutant of the 10th Battalion, London Regiment. Subsequently he was posted to the 1st Battalion of his regiment at Aden, whence he was invalided home shortly after the declaration of war with Germany, and was attached to the 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment for active service. Captain Whelan married Gladys Lily, youngest daughter of the late Captain John Wray Mitchell, of Aroughty Grange, County Roscommon, and left one daughter, Sheila Maureen, born July, 1907.

• 3 months later...

Would appreciate any information on how my great uncle 18/538 sergeant John Gillespie Porter 18thRIR died 27th March 1917 I know he was brought back to the Curragh camp in Ireland and died there and is buried in Belfast cemetery but from what !!! Thank you

Edited by WHP
Wrong Bn

• 2 months later...
On 17/11/2003 at 15:13, Jimmy Taylor said:

I have both of these diaries.

Hello Jimmy,

I have sent you a PM re Pte. David Keirs, 1st Bn RIR.

He was later transferred to the RE's Tunnelling Coy (either 225 or 255 - it's a long story).

He was KIA 28th June, 1917, and is buried in BRANDHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Keirs David Pte 147902 R.E. - Brandhoek Millitary Cemetery - Belgium.jpg

On 17/11/2003 at 15:13, Jimmy Taylor said:

I have both of these diaries.

Hello Jimmy,

I have sent you a PM re Pte. David Keirs, 1st Bn RIR.

He was later transferred to the RE's Tunnelling Coy (either 225 or 255 - it's a long story).

He was KIA 28th June, 1917, and is buried in BRANDHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Edited by Tom Lang
duplicate