Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Royal Marine Battalion

blue

I am researching a Marine who DOW aboard HS SALTA 0711916 from multiple shell wounds, I know he was in the 2nd RM Battalion, But cannot find any info of there were-a-bouts For The Gallipoli campain October to December 1915 any ideas .? Many thanks

Well they would have been in the Helles sector but the peninsula held by the Allies was quite small and the RM could have been anywhere in that sector. Probably somewhere between Krithia and Gully Ravine. If no one else can help between now and Monday, send me a reminder as I have info on the RM at Gallipoli on my work pc.

Jon

According to Blumberg "During October, the Rest Camp was removed to the left of the Peninsula, in rear of the Divisional Sector, whilst efforts were made to prepare for the winter. On 4th October the diary recorded that the 2nd Brigade was holding 1861 yards of front with 1286 rifles."

I believe the Rest Camp was close to X Beach (between W and Gully Ravine) and again this leads me to believe they were going into the line in the top end of Gully Ravine or nearby.

There are plenty of RND experts on the Forum so hopefully one of them will be able to confirm. Blumberg refers to the use of catapults from Novemebr - were these employed up near Gully Ravine?

The RND took over a new sector from 29 Div on 15 August 1915. This new line was between Gully Ravine and Krithia Nullah. They stayed on that line until 11 December when they moved over to their old positions on the left of the French lines. When the French withdrew from Gallipoli at the end of December, the RND took over their line all the way to the coast. From this time (31 Dec) until they left the trenches on the night of 7/8 Jan 2nd RM Battalion was in reserve in the Eski Line. During this period 11 men of the 2nd RM Battalion were killed in action or died of their wounds, caused by Turkish shelling of the trenches. Jones died on 6 Jan (not 7 Jan as in first posting).