Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS ATTENTION.

ragamuffin

Could someone please help me. I have a photo in my hand of a crew that is around WW1 era. On the capband is HMS Attention. I have tried to research but cannot find anything about it. Has anyone any information on this vessel?

I will try to post the photo later, once I try to work out how to download.

Danke.

Are you sure it is ATTENTION and not ATTENTIVE? HMS ATTENTIVE was an adventure class scout cruiser of 3000tons launched 24/11/1904.

There was also a screw tug called ATTENDANT, a fuel ship of 1950 tons also called ATTENDANT. The tender ADDER was renamed ATTENTIVE II on 1/7/1919.

There were several fishery trawlers renamed ATTENTIVEII, ATTENTIVE III etc late 1918.

These are all I can find in Dittmar.

Aye

Malcolm

Attentive II was the shore base at Dover. HMS Attention II, which appears in an Absent Voters List, is, I suspect, a spelling mistake.

Many thanks for your reply.

I have noticed under the microscope it is the Attentive. The person in question was based in Lowestoft UK. Has anyone the operations of this vessel HMS Attentive?

Many thanks for you kind efforts.

This could very well be a photo of a Trawler or Drifter crew of the Dover Patrol. They would be in the RNR(Trawler section) the Attentive was a Depot Ship/Establishment at Dover. The man front and centre looks like a Skipper.

Can you determine the badges on any of the mens left arms?

Regards Charles

The person in question was based in Lowestoft UK.

Lowestoft was a major base for patrol/minesweeping etc operations of the Auxiliary Patrol (requisitioned trawlers, drifters and other small vessels) in WW1 and the administrative HQ for all operations of the Royal Naval Patrol Service in WW2. The RNPS Association and Museum is based there today.

The photo is very small and not very clear, but the number and general appearance of the men looks about right for the crew of an armed trawler or drifter.

Mick

One of the badges on his arm says RNP, so I gather that stands for Royal Naval Patrol? It appears to have a crown above the letters and what appears to be the number 7 under the letters.

Danke

It definately looks like a RNP, but could be a RNR, but I cannot see the bit at the end. I have looked at it very closely and it has a crown, and you are correct it is a T underneath, but no propellers.

Danke.

Hi,

I cannot find anything with just a crown until post war and that is a Regulating Petty Officer, unlikley to be on a minesweeper. Is there anything else with the crown?

Regards Charles

Charles

That is all there is. I have looked very closely and it is a crown with RNP written under it and then the letter T under that. Nothing else near it or around it as far as I can see.

It would be nice if you could enlarge the area and post it, the photo is pre 1922 as the RNR(Trawler Section) was disbanded and became part of the RNR in 1921.

Regards Charles

Found it, he is a "Second Hand" Red Crown over RNR(T). He had to hold a Board of Trade certificate as Mate (Fishing) and served in a British steam trawler for Two years as Mate.

Regards Cahrles

hello there , my grandfather joined the navy around 1914 until invalided out around 1920 . my father has been to kew to try and find out more but it seem his record may have been lost during bombing in 2nd ww. We believe he served on the LIGHTFOOT AND ATTENTIVE . we have a picture of him , his cap badge has EMTBD. the only actions i,ve found for the ATTENTIVE was the ZEEBRUGGE raid 1918 . it was believed he survived a long period of being in the sea ,how and when we do not know. His name was ARTHUR GENTLE . Any imformation would be helpful cheers

You should be able to get his Mates service record at Kew:

6. Fishing Officers: Certificates

The certification of skippers and mates (or second hands) of fishing vessels began in 1884, extending the system that had applied to masters and mates from 1854. The records are in:

BT 129 Registers of Certificates of Competency: Skippers and Mates of Fishing Boats. The certificates are numbered 1 to 15,509 and cover the years 1880 to 1921.

BT 130 Registers of Certificates of Service: Skippers and Mates of Fishing Boats. The certificates are numbered with an '0' prefix and the class contains numbers 01 to 05999 and also numbers 08000 to 08999. Numbers were allocated as follows:

Certificate Number Certificate Type Series commences

01- 03000 Skippers, English from December 1883

03001 - 04888 Second Hands, English from December 1883

05001 - 05765 Skippers, English from January 1884

05800 - 05999 Skippers, Scottish from May 1907

06000 - 07561 Second Hands, English from July 1887

07600 - 07881 Second Hands, Scottish from May 1907

08000 - 08180 Skippers, Scottish from May 1907

The means of reference to these is by using the class Index to Registers of Competency and Service: Skippers and Mates of Fishing Boats (BT 138 ).

Taken from the National Archives research guide http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...?sLeafletID=131

• 1 month later...

Here is a picture of the crew. Do the uniforms do with the era?

Many thanks for your help

Danke

I am very interested in the photo. My father-in-law from Orkney was in the Royal Naval Reserve & served on the Amethyst 1915-1918 and on the Attentive III from 10/11/18 to 15/9/19 where he was a leading seaman. His son (my husband) thinks he is one of the sailors on the back row as we have an other photo of him taken 4 years earlier on the Victory. Is there any way of getting a bigger photo? We have his Minesweeper Badge, his medals and his service records and I am a complete novice at writing his story. Can anyone tell me about ships logs and how I can obtain them. I am in Australia.

Can someone confirm that HMS Leamington was a shore based training facility where he might have trained for minesweepers. Any information will be greatfully received from someone starting out.

Regards SBS

Leamington was a minesweeper, one of the Aberdare (later Hunt) class. She was sold out in 1928.

Best wishes,

Michael