Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worker Pollie Jepson-QMAAC

Anthony Bagshaw

All,

My project has brought this lady to light.

2268 Worker Pollie Jepson QMAAC.

She is on a list of those who served with the forces from Mansfield who have given their lives from the Boer War to the Falklands War.

I cannot fnd her on CWGC but she has a MIC on the National Archives online site.

Anyone find her/ have any info?

Thanks as always in advance

Possible?

1901 census has 6 year old Pollie Jepson, daughter of George and Eliza, living in Bolsover.

Stephen,

I think that is her, thanks.

Anyone??

Anthony

She doesn't appear in the few surviving QMAAC records at TNA [Documents Online], which quite honestly leaves you with nowhere much to go. If she died of a non attributable illness, she won't appear on CWGC, and I would think your best bet is to search the GRO death index to see when she died, and if the mood takes you, find out the cause of death, as it's probable [but not certain] that she died in the UK.

Sue

Thanks Sue, a little dissapointing to be honest. I will PM Terry D and see if he can find anything!

Thanks again

This woman is not recorded with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission nor recorded on the York Minster panels. Her name is on a dedicated website to the fallen of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, where she is said to be recorded on the St Mark's Church War Memorial and the Mansfield Shoe Company War Memorial. Should anyone have photographs of either of these memorials showing her name I would be pleased to receive them.

There's also a Pollie Jepson born in Worksop and 17 years old at time of 1901 census. At the time of the census she was working as a servant to the Hill family in Bradford. George Hill, head of the family, was a fruit seller.

Myrtle

This woman is not recorded with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission nor recorded on the York Minster panels. Her name is on a dedicated website to the fallen of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, where she is said to be recorded on the St Mark's Church War Memorial and the Mansfield Shoe Company War Memorial. Should anyone have photographs of either of these memorials showing her name I would be pleased to receive them.

Jim,

Will see what i can find for you.

I still don't get it, Terry D has confirmed she is not listed in the overseas death index. Did she die at home??

Myrtle,

Thanks, could also be her.

Thanks Sue, a little dissapointing to be honest. I will PM Terry D and see if he can find anything!

Always a confidence booster, to know that:

a. You've disappointed

b. A man will probably know the answer when you have failed.

:unsure:

If Pollie Jepson had died overseas, she would have undoubtedly have been included by CWGC - being on 'Active Service' guaranteed this. So although there's always the tiny possibility that she was 'missed', it seems more than likely that she died at home. Hence my suggestion that it would be worth searching out a birth certificate via the GRO indexes. I don't know what the ratio to deaths overseas versus deaths at home for women would be [Jim could answer that one!], but I imagine that far more were 'at home.'

Also, I guess there's just the possiblity that she was originally something other than 'Pollie'.

Sue

Always a confidence booster, to know that:

a. You've disappointed

b. A man will probably know the answer when you have failed.

Didn't mean it like that.

What i did mean was that it was a little dissapointing that she wasn't in the records. Your response was very helpful (and i have looked at your site which is excellent), i meant no offence though. I do appreciate your help with this.

Anthony

I think I really understood the sentiments :)

I have copies of some official lists of QMAAC workers who died in service, with place of death and cause, dated 1st October 1918, and Pollie Jepson is not included, so she probably died after that date. Of all the women included in the list, with the exception of the 9 women killed at Abbeville [on another thread] and I think just one other, the remainder all died in the UK - the vast majority.

Sue

Thanks again Sue!

Also, I guess there's just the possiblity that she was originally something other than 'Pollie'.

Sue

Yes as Sue says Pollie was probably originally Mary Jepson. There was a Mary Jepson born in Worksop in 1885 whose mother was possibly also called Mary Jepson. This could explain the use of Pollie as her first name.

Myrtle