Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps ref B5c 80.85 and B8b 6.8

tjec

Does anybody have a map with these references on them?

Regards,

Norman

Norman,

I have a map of Elverdinghe sept '17.

Pm your emailadress so i can sent the map in high resolution.

Marnik

Norman.

B5c 80.85....

("X" marks the spot!)...

Dave.

B8b 6.8....

post-357-1164658683.jpg

post-357-1164658725.jpg

General overview of area of both references in relation to Elverdinge/Boezinge...

(map is dated July 1918, by the way, as 1918 maps tend to have similar detail to the "secret" edition maps of earlier years. I could send you an earlier one , but none of mine have much detail for this area for the time you seek)

Dave.

post-357-1164658941.jpg

Thank you Marnik, the e-mail images are very good.

Dear Dave,

Thanks for locating the MR. I wonder if my Grandchildren will be able to find out my location 89 years after the event!

The locations are from the 93HAG war diary. B5c 80.85 being the location of 21SB on 6 September 1917 (my GF Battery 232 was very close) and B8b 6.8 was near the billets, of which an entry on 9 September 1917 stated "Great nocturnal hostile aerial activity. Many bombs dropped, some falling close to billets in B8b 6.8".

Had a look at your web site, many very good map extracts that will kep me busy for hours.

Cheers,

Norman

Norman,

I live less than half a mile from B.5.c.80.85, and so I thought you may be interested in a photo or two.

This one taken from the bend in the road (name : Ravestraat), facing northwest. The co-ordinates 80.85 are where you see the 3rd house (on the left). Only a little bit of it is visible, but the next photo will make up for that.

Aurel

post-92-1164739614.jpg

And this one is taken from where there is that T-junction, a little northwest of the co-ordinates on Dave's map.

Watching south east, to where at a distance that bend is where I took the first photo from.

The co-ordinates are where you see that first house on the right, just past the built-up area sign "Boezinge".

Should you be interested in the original photos (resolution 1600 wide), and two more (almost identical), just let me know your e-mail address (off Forum).

Aurel

post-92-1164739848.jpg

Thank you for the pictures Aurel, my Grandfather was in this area for most of 1917. I have visited the Ypres area several times over the last few years, but never had the information I now have. Thanks to Dave and yourself, I will be able to visit and see more or less the exact area his Battery (6" howitzers) was located.

I will visit again next year, but do not tell too many people, as they may want me to rebuild some of the houses my Grandfather knocked down!

Thanks again,

Norman

I will visit again next year, but do not tell too many people, as they may want me to rebuild some of the houses my Grandfather knocked down!

Norman

Well, at least my place was safe, as my house is south of where the battery was located in the Ravestraat, and the enemy was east and southeast.

Unless your grandad had no sense of direction ! <_<

Aurel