Hi, Can anyone tell me what the following are issued for:

RV2,

S.a 1851,

T.S. 1405,

E.S. 1231,

T.S. 1270,

Cheers Terry

Terry,

None ring a bell, can you put them in contex and I'll try and find them in the books.

Regards Charles

Hello Charles, Thanks and apologies for the lack of clarity, I'm trying to make some sense of scribbled notes from BT 377/1 A - B, made just before closing time on a recent visit to the NA Kew! ie:

Black, Alexander born Buckie 1885. Cert RV2 allocated. S.a 1851.

The T.S. 1405 and E.s. 1231 are from entries for other seamen named Black.

T.S.1270 is from a RNR entry in the Navy List(1943) for Rank Skr G.B. Orsborne (Act) (Medina) 1st Sept '42.

(Not strictly GWF but I thought the T.S.1270 might be from his RN service in 1914-18)

Cheers Terry

Terry,

I am assuming.... that these numbers are the numbers on the Register for Royal Naval Reserve (Trawler Section)

SA. Second Hand

TS. Trimmer

ES. Engineman

Not sure about RV2.

Regards Charles

Charles - Thanks for looking - Yes I think they probably were RNR(T) but I'm not sure about the TS 1270 in the Navy List(1942) entry - if its the right man he was a Trawler Skipper at age 21 (c1924/5). Thanks again - for more small pieces to fit into the puzzle. Meanwhile I'm waiting for some photo copying from the NA that might help!

Cheers Terry

and a rare chance for this smilie:

win.jpg

Look up 'T.S. 1405, S.A 1851 and E.S. 1231 ' in BT 377/7 they sound like service numbers to me.

Terry,

It is possible your man was a Trimmer in the RNR(T) the number seems quite early though.

"if its the right man he was a Trawler Skipper at age 21 (c1924/5)"

Where did he sail from and have you got his Ticket Number?

Regards Charles

Charles, I don't have his ticket number yet but will have soon I hope.

He is George Black Orsborne, sailed out of Grimsby, three of his commands were: 'Lord Darling' - 'Osaka' - and 'Girl Pat'

Master's certificate in 1925, extra masters certificate in 1926.

He supposed to have served in the Dover Patrol in 1917/18 aged 14!

Cheers Terry

Terry,

I have instances of youngsters serving at the age of 14 so not out of the frame, he could be an apprentice, which is likley as he was a Skipper young. I also have records of Boy Scouts joining ships of the Auxiliary Patrol as signalers because they knew Morse Code and Semaphore. But no George Osbourne Im afraid.

Regards Charles

Charles - I've a good deal of information about Orsborne - I'm just trying to sort out fact from fiction from all that is written by him and others. His name is just one of the problems - often spelt Osborne or Orsbourne but he was in fact christened George Black and only took the name Orsborn(e), with the 'e' added to be known as George Black Orsborne, ('Dod' by owners and fishermen in Grimsby!) after his mother married J. A. Orsborn in 1917. His father George Black senior was allegedly lost at Gallipoli some time before this. Apart from his RN service in WW1 most of his story is off topic but if you have anything on him perhaps you could PM me and I can do the same if you want more info.

Cheers Terry

Thanks again Charles - I've had an email from the archivist at fleetairarm.com who has located the service records for some of those I'm researching, so fingers crossed I'll have more info. soon.

Cheers Terry