Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dead Stretcher Bearer

auchonvillerssomme

The Historial de la Grande Guerre is showing a the Painting of 'Dead Stretcher Bearer' can anyone remind me of who painted it?

Mick

No stupidly i didnt get a picture of it...ive never seen it before...very good picture, terrible theme...depicts dead stretcher bearer lying on a stretcher

mick

Hi Mick,

Not sure if this is the one , but there was a painting by "Gilbert Rogers" called

" Dead Stretcher Bearer". i think its held in trust by the Imperial War Museum

in London.

Seem to recall the scene was a shellhole, water filled, with the body of the Bearer

covered by a blanket laid at an incline into the muddy blood stained crater ?

Hope thats the one ?

Regards

Gordon

This one?

IWM Collections

Thanks all.

Nope thats not it. But Ive never seen that one before either.

Gordon has the one I'm thinking of.

Mick

All I need now is a picture of the picture. The copy they have in Peronne is the original presumably on loan.

Mick

Was the picture that you are thinking about on the front cover of a book called Hot Blood Cold Steel?

If it is then the stretcher bearer has a blanket thrown over him covering his face & most of his body.

post-11197-1164361409.jpg

post-11197-1164361611.jpg

2 pictures by G Rogers,

each picture tells a thousand stories.

Thats the one...the painting takes your breath away. about 4ftx4ft.

Mick

Kevin

where did you find them?

mick

Marvelous! For those that are curious, the name of the painting with the two soldiers and the cooker is "Humanity - Stretcher-Bearer Post, 9th Field Ambulance". The Somme 1916 site is well worth the visit!

All the best,

Dan

Those paintings are incredibly good: is there any printed work about the author (including reproductions)?

Gloria

'Fraid not. You could do a Google search and see if you can identify him a bit better or e-mail the IWM where at least one of the paintings is displayed.

I'm going to try sculpting the stretcher-bearer in 1/16th scale. I thought I would do a cut-away type trench showing the figure and surroundings as much as possible in the same way as Mr. Rogers did it. The effect of his washed-out whites, greys and tans is visually stunning so it would be quite a challenge for the figure painter - of which I am not one! Did you notice Rogers has the scene back-lit with light flooding toward the viewer? Marvelous.

If you'd like to see the figure develop, please check out either www. Planetfigure.com and go to my vBench or my blog - Heroes on the Wire. http://heroesonthewire.blogspot.com/

All the best,

Dan

In the painting, Dead Stretcher Bearer, what is covering the face of the stretcher bearer? Is it a PH or other type gas mask or is it a blanket? I can't tell!

All the best,

Dan

post-4473-1164552952.jpgpost-4473-1164553214.jpg

You did exactly what I tried. Photoshop's a great program, but if the resolution isn't there in the original.... Hence my question...

All the best,

Dan