Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Army in Bengal

Guest freddy davis

Guest freddy davis

Dear all

Can you help please. My grandfather spent the entire first world war in Bengal with the army working on the Bengal Railway. Why was this so important that men who were required in Europe should be sent to India?

I thought at first it was part of the Great Game, that is, despite the Anglo Russian peace treaty of 1905, the British Govt were still worried about an attack on India. I can find no evidence to support this. So why did he have a most wonderful war, spending all his time as a private working on this railway.

Lastly , does anyone know where records of the British Army in India 1914 -1920 can be found? Is it possible he wasn't in the British Army at all but in the Indian Army. I'm all at sea here and advice would be most welcome

Regards, a rather perplexed

freddy :

Freddy,

My great-grandfather also spent much of the war in India, at Lahore serving with the artillery.

My understanding was that a fairly large garrison remained in India throughout the war. Maybe to ensure no-one got ideas about independence ? Given the size of the country a large amount of men would be needed, just to maintain civil order. Perhaps the British felt that any sign of weakness on their part during the war might result in further problems later on.

Looking at the locations of different units during the war it is surprising how many served in various garrison posts throughout the Empire.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Could be way out but I am sure your first call should be to the British Library, London, where all India Office records are now held, including military records?

Before the outbreak of war, some units of the Regular Army were overseas serving in the garrisons of the British Empire. Once war had been declared these units were recalled to Britain to reinforce the four divisions that had gone to France in August 1914. They were replaced in the garrisons by Territorial units. It's quite possible that your Grandfather was in one of the TF units sent to India. If you know the regiment/battalion check the home page of this site and follow the link to Infantry. You should be able to find his regiment on the list. Click there and you'll find out details of where the battalion served.