Remembered Today:

HELP WITH MIC

mrfish

Hi, Everyone

I have a 1915 Star (only) issued to:

M2 106134

SGT A. R. HOPE

1ST. A.M.B. M.M.G.S.

I found his MIC today (attached). This says he is "Ineligible for 1915 Star"!

Any ideas why I have it then? Issued in error? How, when entry into theatre clearly shows 7.2.1916?

Is there likely to be a Roll entry for this medal? Is that what it says above the bit that says he was Commissioned...R ? F roll RASC 101/B73 - 7418

Also, does anyone have any idea about his unit?

Anything else anyone can tell me about Alexander Hope would be greatly appreciated.

post-11503-1164280292.jpg

mrfish

><(((((*>

Because the 1914-15 star was only given to those who were in specific theatres of war pre 1916 and post end of November 1914. Your man first entered a theatre of war in Feb. 1916 and therefore does not qualify.

Andy

Check for a further index card;he may well have qualified{if you have the Star itself} prior to that,try a search using just his number & surname

HB

The alternative of course could be that whilst the authorities decided he did not qualify for the Star Mr Hope thought differently and awarded one to himself.

MrFish

Can you post an image of the medal in question (reverse side)?

Andy

Can you post an image of the medal in question (reverse side)?

Andy

Here you go...I've found 2 other MIC's for the chap, but both are for a MID in Feb 1917. Private ASC on one and Private (acting Sergeant) ASC on the other.

I assume that one of the references on the MIC is to an ASC Roll? Do you think the fact that the MIC actually states "Ineligible for 1915 Star" means that it was isued in error? Otherwise, why bother to mentionit?

><(((((*>

post-11503-1164284201.jpg

It does look to be engraved rather than officially impressed leading one to suspect Andy's theory of self award to be correct.sorry

Mr thicky here, an ASC star would have just that on it so what does

1ST. A.M.B. M.M.G.S.

stand for

1st Armoured Motor Battery, Motorised Machine Gun Section.

His February 1917 MID IC states that he is attached to the unit from the A.S.C.

><(((((*>

1st Armoured Motor Battery, Motorised Machine Gun Section.

His February 1917 MID IC states that he is attached to the unit from the A.S.C.

><(((((*>

I think what Welshdoc is trying to say is that if the medal were named correctly it would simply state "ASC".

Andy

Agree that the naming looks unofficial and that the unit details are not usually shown on ASC stars

It does look to be engraved rather than officially impressed leading one to suspect Andy's theory of self award to be correct.sorry

Also, the bronze color you see on the ring is the correct color for the entire back of this medal. It could be a trick of the flash but the silvery color makes me think the entire back side was sanded off at some point. The sword hilts appear to have a little of the bronze color remaining but this is the reverse of what you would expect from wear.

To me, the MIC restating the fact that he wasn't entitled to the star implies that this was officially challenged. If this is the case there may some other avenue to research? Possibly someone else knows of another example of contested entitlement?

Jane

Hi,

I would not have a clue about whether his medal was correct, or not. The best bet I think is a visit to Kew to hopefully see his service records. They would be a far better bet, unless he served beyond 1922. Then you might be able to ascertain whether he was entitled to this medal or not.

Alie.

Maybe its my eyes but...., directly to the right of the name HOPE, it looks like there may be some faint lettering there?

Neil

Hello Again

I had a look at the medal last night. It is definitely engraved and not stamped. I also compared it with another 15 Star and it does appear thinner. My guess now is that he thought he should have had one and so had one privately done.

I'd still like to know what the Roll reference is above the Commission date though?

For info, I bought this medal is 1976 from a shop called "Coins and Curios" in Caldmore (pronounced Carma) in Walsall, West Midlands. It cost me 50p, which was probably a week’s pocket money (I was 8!). The week before I had bought my very first medal, a Victory Medal to the R.A., also for 50p.

I had never really looked at the medal until this week, but it's actually pretty obvious now you've all kindly pointed it out, that it's been altered. And the shop owner must have known this when he sold it to that sweet little 8 year old, 30 years ago! My only consolation is that he's probably dead now!

So what's it worth then, anything?

mrfish

><((((*>

I'd still like to know what the Roll reference is above the Commission date though?

mrfish

><((((*>

He was commissioned on the date given. As he served in the ranks his medal entitlement was automatically worked out and he is entered on the Rank and File roll RASC 101 B73 page 7418. On that roll it will record the fact of his commission, which would halt the production of the BW&VM for him as a Sgt. As an officer he would have to claim his medals, which it appears he did, apparently claiming a 1915 Star, and the BW&VM are recorded on Officers Roll ASC Officers 1 page 215E. He was Mentioned in Despatches, indicated by the annotaion of Emblems.

Regards

Hugh

As has already been said it is not an official issue but a self award. However, it appears that with his service in the MMGS and commission adn MID - there is an awful lot to research on this man. Without you buying this 30 years ago his service and participation may have never come to light. Enjoy ythe research...

Priv

As has already been said it is not an official issue but a self award. However, it appears that with his service in the MMGS and commission adn MID - there is an awful lot to research on this man. Without you buying this 30 years ago his service and participation may have never come to light. Enjoy ythe research...

I agree. To me it is certainly 50p well spent and opens up the avenue to an awful lot of interesting research.

Andy

As for value ? a single 1915 star £15-25 renamed half of that but this one is interesting so probably a little more. So overall not a bad buy. Also the guy who sold it in 1970 probably had no idea it was renamed or not if he was in a curio shop. gareth