Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oppy Wood

Robert Dunlop

Battleground Europe Series. ISBN 1844152480.

This well-written book focuses on the actions involving the village of Oppy and the associated wood. Oppy is located not far from Vimy Ridge, near Arras. It was the scene of some fighting in 1914 but the book deals with the actions in the Battle of Arras, Operation Mars, and the last 100 days.

The information on the Battle of Arras covers several minor battles and actions thoughout the Spring of 1917. The details illustrate the problems faced by the British Army fighting at the limit of resupply and command / control. It also illustrates how the Germans counterattacked. Their success related to the narrow attack frontages and the relative lack of support, especially artillery. By way of contrast, the successful defence against Operation Mars in 1918 is highlighted. It is unusual to find information about this event; most writers concentrate on Operation Michael.

It would have been nice to have more information from the German perspective.

As usual, there are excellent descriptions of tours and walks that can be taken in this area.

For anyone interested in the Hull's Pals and the actions around Oppy Wood, then this book is well worth a look. Also, a nice addition if you want a more detailed view of actions in the latter stages of the Battle of Arras.

Robert

I've just finished reading "Cheerful Sacrifice" - about the battle of Arras. There was a good example of the German tactics you mention in an attack on Infantry Hill near Monchy le Preux. Two battalions were wiped out.

For anyone interested in the Hull's Pals and the actions around Oppy Wood, then this book is well worth a look.

28/29 April 1917 1st Royal Berkshire attacked Oppy Wood at there battalion strength of about 250 strong - they took 70% casualties. This was an important day in the history of the First Battalion - L/Cpl Welch won a VC - and in the Battles of Arras. Barely gets a mention in the book, so I was pretty disappointed - a case of not doing what it said on the cover.

Despite this, any Hull Pals enthusiasts should follow up on your recommendation.

As usual, there are excellent descriptions of tours and walks that can be taken in this area.

Shame you cant get into the woor itself though :rolleyes: - was there Sept and stood no chance of getting past the perimeter as its closed in tighter than if they had built a brick wall!!

Dont suppose anyone has succeeded in getting access from the owner per chance have they. Would love to see inside as the 1st Beds took in 28th June 1917 and I have an interest in it?

Robert

The Battleground Europe Series book on Gavrelle is also worth a read. It overlaps quite a bit but does add to the overall view of the British area north of the R. Scarpe. I was over there in July and the two places are only a few miles apart.

I also appreciated the discussion of the Mars Offensive. I agree that there is very little available on the battle; the History of the 56th Division being my best source.

My grandfather was gassed on th first day of the Mars Offensive.

Bob

Barely gets a mention in the book, so I was pretty disappointed - a case of not doing what it said on the cover.
Jonathan, a reminder that the Battleground Europe Series do not provide definitive accounts. They tend to focus on specific aspects, often linked to the personal interests or connections of the authors. The intent is to give sufficient detail as a context / taster for the tours and sightseeing guides.

Robert

B)-->

QUOTE(Bob B @ Nov 23 2006, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Battleground Europe Series book on Gavrelle is also worth a read.

Bob, I enjoyed the book on Gavrelle. These actions are not well known and it is good that attention is drawn to them. It is an interesting area to visit. The most significant thing was looking back towards Vimy Ridge and seeing the Canadian Memorial standing out. This only reinforces the relatively flat open nature of the terrain, where minor ridges and features such as Oppy Wood could have such tactical significance.

My grandfather was gassed on the first day of the Mars Offensive.

Thanks for the personal insight. I do not have a family connection with this battle but it has always impressed me that Operation Mars was successfully beaten off by the British defenders. The strategic significance was immense. Had Arras fallen...?? Sad that minimal attention, and therefore respect, is paid to men such as your grandfather, as well as the British commanders, who contributed to this important victory. I have no doubt that the situation will be rectified, given the growing interest in WW1.

Robert

Jonathan, a reminder that the Battleground Europe Series do not provide definitive accounts. They tend to focus on specific aspects, often linked to the personal interests or connections of the authors. The intent is to give sufficient detail as a context / taster for the tours and sightseeing guides.

Robert

Point taken but then perhaps it needed an adjustment to the title ie. "Various actions around Arleux and Oppy". I dont see how B/E can call this a guide book of Oppy Wood and then almost completely ignore one of the most important actions that took place on arguably the most important day of fighting that actually took place in the wood, you name your book after. I have no problems with the content for what it covers, only what it doesnt. From memory 11/2 pages from 200+

We will have to agree to differ on this. I am also aware that I am not the only person that has been mislead by the title although I am sure that was not the author's intention.

Jonathan, it is very important that potential buyers understand what is on offer with the Battleground Europe Series. You have illustrated how disappointing these books can be for someone with a specific interest outside the focus of the author. I agree, and I hope that we have helped others to be discerning when they approach the purchase of a book/s in the series. With this in mind, and given the BES focus on battlefield 'tours', buyers should not be put off - just beware.

Robert

Robert - I agree and my original post was more of a warning to others than trying to belittle the work of the author, and I regret if my poor use of words has reflected badly on what the author has achieved. Its great for what it does but ... in my opinion, it doesnt quite do what it suggests. Unfortunately many of us now buy from Amazon, N&M Press etc without the opportunity of viewing the book in the first instance.

Regards,

Jon S

Unfortunately many of us now buy from Amazon, N&M Press etc without the opportunity of viewing the book in the first instance.
Very good point, Jon. One of the reasons why this part of the Forum is so helpful.

Robert

B)-->

QUOTE(Bob B @ Nov 23 2006, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Robert

The Battleground Europe Series book on Gavrelle is also worth a read. It overlaps quite a bit but does add to the overall view of the British area north of the R. Scarpe. I was over there in July and the two places are only a few miles apart.

I also appreciated the discussion of the Mars Offensive. I agree that there is very little available on the battle; the History of the 56th Division being my best source.

My grandfather was gassed on th first day of the Mars Offensive.

Bob

Bob; which unit was he in? there are several London Regiment Histories that cover 28.3.18 very well, notably the 5th and 16th londons - both took very heavy casualties that day; the 5th were left with a mere handful of men

erniecrisp

My Grandfather Gunner 'Nelson' Townsend was in the D/Battery (4.5 howitzer) of 281 Brigade RFA part of the 56th Division.

I think he was near Bailleul during the action.

He survived and returned to the brigade in September 1918 and died in 1954.

Bob