Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First World War Channel 4

David_Blanchard

Below is a link to the transcripts of the Channel 4 Series written by Hew Strachan:

http://www.warkclements.com/firstworldwar/

THE FIRST WORLD WAR

These series transcripts are based on the 50' versions. They are one minute longer than the versions shown on television in the UK by Channel Four. A full list of production credits appears at the end of the transcript for each programme.

Some quotes from contemporary letters and diaries could not be cleared for online use and have therefore had to be omitted. Reference to the films on VHS or DVD will fill these few gaps.

These transcripts are made available for help in study, for academic reference and general, non-commercial interest. They may not be reproduced in whole or part for any commercial purpose without permission from Wark Clements.

The series is accompanied by two books: The First World War by Hew Strachan and A War in Words by Svetlana Palmer and Sarah Wallis, both published by Simon & Schuster. There is also a CD of the music by Orlando Gough and Cecil Coles on Master Right Recordings.

Transcripts for the series are available below. To view the transcripts you will require the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Transcript 1 - Episode One: TO ARMS

Transcript 2 - Episode Two: UNDER THE EAGLE

Transcript 3 - Episode Three: GLOBAL WAR

Transcript 4 - Episode Four: JIHAD

Transcript 5 - Episode Five: SHACKLED TO A CORPSE

Transcript 6 - Episode Six: BREAKING THE DEADLOCK

Transcript 7 - Episode Seven: BLOCKADE

Transcript 8 - Episode Eight: REVOLUTION

Transcript 9 - Episode Nine: GERMANY'S LAST GAMBLE

Transcript 10 - Episode Ten: WAR WITHOUT END

Yes, thanks, David.

I managed to miss last night's programme, something didn't quite work with the old video, so will have to wait for Santa before I can watch that episode. Oh I was annoyed! (especially as a friend was relying on me too!)

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks for the link. I must admit that I've only managed to catch a couple of these programmes. I'm waiting for the DVD! There are some good and unusual angles depicted making it more than a re-tread of familiar material (I never knew that some in Germany contemplated declaring war on Austria-Hungary when they nicked their grain barges, for example). I know it's difficult to cover a complex story in 50-minute chunks but I found the story of the German 1918 offensives very incomplete and confusing. You were left with the impresssion that 'Michael' was really the only offensive, not part of a series of blows against the allied line.