Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Proposed Somme Airport

Paul Reed

In their review of the year, local Somme newspaper Courier Picard reports that an all-party working committee is going to meet in May 2003 to decide once and for all whether a third Paris airport will be built on the Somme, and if so, exactly where.

This is very different to what we were led to believe from WFA sources, who told us the whole thing had been sidelined.

The tone of Courier Picard seemed to imply that this was far from the case.

I know that quite a few of us keep an eye on the press over here - perhaps we can all be vigilant and keep everyone informed?

Paul you are quite right about vigilance in this respect. Whilst carrying out some research last summer for a comparative article about Vermandovillers and two Warwickshire villages threatened by a new "Heathrow", it became quite clear that, although Vermando had received a reprieve, there was still very much a possibility that the French proposal could still go ahead on the Somme.

Terry Reeves

French newspapers wrote that the 'Chaulnes airport' was over.

Gilbert Deraedt :o

• 2 months later...

If you remove all the countries that made up the former U.S.S.R., France is the largest country in Europe. Surely there is enough room within its borders to build another airport without touching the Somme or any other part of the Western Front. I can see no reason whatsoever to disturb historical areas, and in the case of the Somme, British soldiers' resting places in such a large country.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Paul,

British, French, German, Australian, Canadian, South African, Indian they all rest there and deserve to remain in peace.

Ian :ph34r:

How on earth could Ian forget the New Zealanders who had a significant presence? What about the Chinese Labour Corps who played their part? How about the Newfoundlanders that we remember at the sign of the Caribou?

Even then the list is not comprehensive and could go on and on. One only has to think of places like the Portuguese Cemetery at Neuve Chapelle to start extending the list of those who fought on the Western Front.

They all deserve proper burial places and to be remembered and modern developments should take account of this wherever and whenever possible.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Martin,

Huge apologies for forgetting anyone - in trying to be inclusive to friend and foe that were, I missed some out. However I hope everyone understood the sentiment and gist of what I was trying to say.

Ian

:)

South of Paris, south west of Paris, east of Paris, south east of Paris, in the middle of Paris, for all I care but to the north West! MY GOD why does the French Gov. seem to have an need to *^ things up.

Praying that it dies once and for all in May,

Jon

I seem to have inadvertantly stirred up a hornets' nest. I should, and mean, that EVERY soldier of EVERY nation who lies on a battlefield, either in a known or unknown grave, is owed the chance to rest in peace because they all died in hell.

Gentlemen,

With the current situation in the Gulf and the breakdown in European relations, could we not be faced with the sighting of the airport on the Battlefields!

Just a thought :unsure:

Martin

Guest Simon Bull

Martin,

Even if your logic is right I doubt that the present war will affect the siting of the airport, bearing in mind that the worst affected country would be Germany with the huge cemetery at Vermandovillers, and that Germany and France stood together against the present war.

What are more likely to affect its siting are economic factors - the proposed site is in a place which will be very easily reached by many millions of Europeans (including those in the south of England) and it could (if ever built, which I sincerely hope not) be economically extremely successful. Leaving aside the threat to the battlefields it is a very logical place to put an airport - e.g. far more logical than the proposed new London airport at Cliffe.

Simon Bull

It would be great if you could keep us up to date with this airport development Paul.

We most likely won't hear much about this in Australia as the newspapers previously reported this issue as being over.

Regards

Andrew